Beginner boat kit for 8 year old

My 8 year old grandson would like to try building a kit. He is a wiz at Lego and wants something more challenging.
Looking for a beginner kit, plastic or wood, for him to see if he enjoys it.
Any suggestions?

Well for plastic Id suggest something like the Tamiya 1/350th USS Fletcher. Its small but has really nice detail.
For wood Id suggest Model Shipways Taurus Tug Boat or their Phantom Pilot boat.
All the above can usually be found at low prices on Ebay.

I hope he enjoys getting into models :)

This is interesting topic for me as I was considering buying a model sailing ship kit for my grandson.
From memory there's kits available, but I cannot recall the manufacturer.

Dusek has some simple kits that build into something that looks like a WWII recognition model- they start on the bottom of this page below. My daughter didn't like putting them together, but the kid across the street did and had battles on the dining room table. They go together easily, and look good with a coat of gray paint and some minimal sanding with emery boards. He did need some help drilling the turrets to mount the guns, and wire from paperclips is more durable than the kit supplied wood:
I am also a fan of some of the 10.00USD kits from China. The fishing boat goes together easily but is planked which can be a little tedious for an 8 year old. Some paint makes the laser cut simplified details look good.

Last edited:
Take a look at what Bluejacket offers. They have a nice selection of beginner and small craft kits. Bunch of good folks up there in Belfast, Maine!

Edit: (Well...technically Searsport which is a suburb of Belfast...I always just say Belfast...I grew up in Maine if that is any excuse...to go visit Bluejacket we simply head down east to Belfast!)

Last edited:
So we found some easy starter models for my Grandson. The USS Ticonderoga CV-14 and the USS Forrest Sherman. He did quite well for his first attempts at modeling.
He lives out of state so now with the rise of covid we are face timing modeling together. It's challenging trying to explain certain procedures, but I am enjoying it and I believe he is also.

Resized_20201119_112245.jpegResized952020111995112211.jpgResized_20201119_101454.jpeg

So we found some easy starter models for my Grandson. The USS Ticonderoga CV-14 and the USS Forrest Sherman. He did quite well for his first attempts at modeling.
He lives out of state so now with the rise of covid we are face timing modeling together. It's challenging trying to explain certain procedures, but I am enjoying it and I believe he is also.

View attachment 193878View attachment 193879View attachment 193880
8 Years old! that's really good work for his age.
you just may have started him on a life long hobby.

8 Years old! that's really good work for his age.
you just may have started him on a life long hobby.
We cannot ignore the focus and dedication that young minds can bring forth . . from music to hobbies to sports. . that will affect their lives and enrich our own watching and better sharing from a distance without intrusion from a close seat. Just a thought. Rich (PT-2)

Back