Belem from Artesania Latina - by Fish & Chip

I received today my cotton rope for boltrope. I am really impressed by the quality. MAy be I should reserved some money for future ropes remplacement or to purchase Domanoff rope maker.

I have one question : is my rope size overkill for my boltrope? Should I reduce size by 50 % ?I put pics below to help.

Thanks,

Michel
20240919_104313.jpg20240919_104508.jpg

Ok - than for my personal feeling it is really too thick

Well, this is a complicated matter, since rope have note the same size from producer to producer. But Ropes of scale are similar to Artesania latina in scale. I will try another size from what I have in my stock, since it is a recent ship, I will choose light size and use eyelet to attach to stay. I have Amati, Mantua and Caldercraft and AL.

I am in the processs of deciphering AAMM plan for mizzen mast rigging. Have to made small ring, but it is easy.

Thanks

In the waiting of Ropes of scale rope for my Belem boltrope, I finally purchased two strait chisel and 1 skew chisel from Dockyard tools for future uses. I also bought at 50 % sale on Amazon.ca two bottle of brass black also for future uses.

View attachment 471815
I try all my new chisels. Huge difference for the Dockyard quality that is reeally better thant the others. Really happy with them and will stay with this compagny in the future. They are the only one that made balsa cut easy, since this wood is relatively soft.

Well, this is a complicated matter, since rope have note the same size from producer to producer. But Ropes of scale are similar to Artesania latina in scale. I will try another size from what I have in my stock, since it is a recent ship, I will choose light size and use eyelet to attach to stay. I have Amati, Mantua and Caldercraft and AL.

I am in the processs of deciphering AAMM plan for mizzen mast rigging. Have to made small ring, but it is easy.

Thanks
Not sure what your Belen scale is but in the far away future when I get to the sails for my San Juan Nepomuceno (1/90) I'll be purchasing cotton rope from Ropes of Scale. RoS sizes go down to .25mm (0.009") so lots of sizes to chose from. My choice for the cotton is because polyester does not glue well to cloth and really needs to be sown on. My gazillion tests conclude cotton adheres favourably to cotton sail cloth (as it should both being cotton). Just my humble opinion and input.

Would you happen to know if the brass black fades over time?
I was thinking of buying some but someone scared me that the stuff needs to be reapplied after a certain period of time. I don't remember how long, but I do remember the lump in my throat when he said what it was.

Not sure what your Belen scale is but in the far away future when I get to the sails for my San Juan Nepomuceno (1/90) I'll be purchasing cotton rope from Ropes of Scale. RoS sizes go down to .25mm (0.009") so lots of sizes to chose from. My choice for the cotton is because polyester does not glue well to cloth and really needs to be sown on. My gazillion tests conclude cotton adheres favourably to cotton sail cloth (as it should both being cotton). Just my humble opinion and input.
Hi ConsNZ,
The scale is 1:75. I agree with you that Ropes of scale are really good stuff. But since my Belem is for me an experimentation of diverse techniques, since it was cheap in purchased cost, I think I will reserved the money for my Bounty and Prinz Wilhem. Marristella Carrack have already good enough material in the kit, so for this one, no more money is required. For sure Ropes of Scale and Dry-Dock model and parts will be my preferred materials suppliers here in Canada.

Would you happen to know if the brass black fades over time?
I was thinking of buying some but someone scared me that the stuff needs to be reapplied after a certain period of time. I don't remember how long, but I do remember the lump in my throat when he said what it was.
Hi JAck Sparrow. I really don't know about the longevity of Brass Black. But I think to cover it with some mat varnish or other protection on it. May be it will be enough to warrant some longevity.

Back