Bend me, shape me

We’ve all read countless posts and inquiries regarding how to bend planks on our models. Us older guys have heard a lot of methods and most likely have our favourite. This involves 1 and 2 mm pieces of wood for the most part. Now here’s my question: how in the world did the boys of yore bend and shape the massive hunks of wood used to build the magnificent ships we all adore? These planks were a tad thicker than 1 or 2 mm. We are talking big slabs of wood such as oak, inches thick. I’ve never been supplied with an answer that fully satisfied my curiosity.
john

Good evening whiskers.
In 1978 in Red Bay (Canada) was found a spanish whaler carrack.
The San Juan is now being built in ALBAOLA shipyard in the Basque Country where she was originally. In his webpage you have the whole process so far.

ALBAOLA. SAN JUAN

PICTURES

And I,ve seen old paintings where the carpenters were bending huge planks using bonfires and weights, as well as we do now with our model but at a different scale.

Other link...

LOST ARTS

Greetings
Jaime

Last edited:
Good evening whiskers.
In 1978 in Red Bay (Canada) was found a spanish whaler carrack.
The San Juan is now being built in ALBAOLA shipyard in the Basque Country where she was originally. In his webpage you have the whole process so far.

ALBAOLA. SAN JUAN

PICTURES

And I,ve seen old paintings where the carpenters were bending huge planks using bonfires and weights, as well as we do now with our model but at a different scale.

Other link...

LOST ARTS

Greetings
Jaime
Thanks Jaime. It is much appreciated! I cannot imagine the sheer work involved in this task. As a guy who has built various types of furniture over the years the process seems impossible to achieve. Obviously they were very determined and skillful.

We’ve all read countless posts and inquiries regarding how to bend planks on our models. Us older guys have heard a lot of methods and most likely have our favourite. This involves 1 and 2 mm pieces of wood for the most part. Now here’s my question: how in the world did the boys of yore bend and shape the massive hunks of wood used to build the magnificent ships we all adore? These planks were a tad thicker than 1 or 2 mm. We are talking big slabs of wood such as oak, inches thick. I’ve never been supplied with an answer that fully satisfied my curiosity.
john

john
Hallo John alias @whiskers
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

john
STEAM. I have seen it on Boat Yard in Hirtshals Denmark. In the same town, a company made a patent Gluing several bends planks together in 1950. The could make huge Woodend part for construction. Many sports hall are built with this method, as the only part taking the hole weight. is was called LIMTRAE

Back