Bending wire to make rigging parts

Hi, I’m trying to make the loops from 1mm brass wire that hold the stun sail booms. On my Occre Beagle it shows a loop with right angle bend that is inserted into end of yard. Stunsail booms are 3mm so loop would need to be 3.5mm. I have tapered point pliers buts hard to get loop 360 degrees. Right angle bends are fine with pliers. Forming loop around lime wood doesn’t work because wood is too soft. Part is MT49 on picture
Is there a tool to form nice loops in the wire? Or is there a nifty technique you have?
Thanksimage.jpg

Hi, I’m trying to make the loops from 1mm brass wire that hold the stun sail booms. On my Occre Beagle it shows a loop with right angle bend that is inserted into end of yard. Stunsail booms are 3mm so loop would need to be 3.5mm. I have tapered point pliers buts hard to get loop 360 degrees. Right angle bends are fine with pliers. Forming loop around lime wood doesn’t work because wood is too soft. Part is MT49 on picture
Is there a tool to form nice loops in the wire? Or is there a nifty technique you have?
ThanksView attachment 457519
I have a pair of these and they work really well.

https://www.amazon.com.au/BeadSmith-1-Step-Looper-Pliers-Create/dp/B00BOZ79UO?th=1

Thanks C’cutter, do those pliers work with different dia wire and make diff size loops?
Yes. There are different sized pliers for different sized loops and can bend wire up to 2-3mm. Most wire is measured in Gauge size, I have bent 20-26G.
They cost about $40 AUD and can buy a set of three for approx $100.
Search in jewelry stores.

I have been using a drill bit as well, but these pliers intrigue me. :)
I've ordered some of these. I'm looking forward to trying them out ! Thank you !!!

If you anneal the wire first it bends a lot easier. Just heat it up to red heat and (with brass or copper) quench or let cool.

Back