Best method to drill holes

I am working on my first ship model which has a solid hull. I have been using an electric drilI and found it difficult to accurately drill holes. The kit required drilling of masts at two different angles and even the precise position of the hawse cheeks were a challenge. What is the method that would produce more accurate drilling? I am not opposed to purchasing a rotary tool drill guide or even a small drill press.

Did your you kit come with an angle guide for drilling. One kit I did had a paper template you glued to spare scrap of wood and placed on deck to help as alignment jig when drilling.

It did not. I made a small jig. In retrospect I think I created problems for myself by trying to use an electric drill as opposed to a lighter and smaller rotary drill. Also as you suggested I should have drilled a smaller hole initially.

On my Phantom solid hull the jig to set angle and smaller bit, about 1/2 of final size worked.

I had some good help in a local ship modelers group that used to meet at a local hobby shop on weekends.

We had 4-8 folks sitting around tables working and BSing about ships and sailing of old. Many were very experienced and some were new like me. Shame the shop closed and I have lots touch with the builders group.

I wish there was a ship modeling club near me. Closest one I could find was 2 hours away. Kind of surprising since I live in the largest retirement community in the world. Thought I would find a club or group here.

I am often drilling with a handvise micro drill
r5KHNBvrIZxuPQ1d_8aad564d-f7dd-419c-8141-0bf99e372414_540x.jpg

It is taking much more time, but very precise - and starting with a smaller diameter and step by step bigger
F.e. I am drilling all my treenail holes with this small hand drill

Uwe you are a glutton for punishment to hand drill all treenail holes, maybe we need to see if any tool makers have a small hand auger crank drill to be more authentic in drilling all holes by hand.

Two questions arising from this thread;
How does the Dremel right angle tool make hole drilling more accurate?
Regarding a pin vise, does anyone have a recommendation for a qood quality set of small number drills? I have a cheap set and some are good, others don't drill at all. Interestingly, after breaking one or two of the bad drills trying to make a hole, I found that the sharp broken end of the drill worked pretty well.

Two questions arising from this thread;
How does the Dremel right angle tool make hole drilling more accurate?
Regarding a pin vise, does anyone have a recommendation for a qood quality set of small number drills? I have a cheap set and some are good, others don't drill at all. Interestingly, after breaking one or two of the bad drills trying to make a hole, I found that the sharp broken end of the drill worked pretty well.

I use Tungsten Carbide PCB drills.You can get them down to less than 0.1mm diameter but all have a 2.35mm shank.They only have 6mm or so of the drill in the actual size so less flex and breakages.You can get them on Ebay but you have to buy individual sizes not a set and they are not cheap.The smallest ones though really need a rotary tool to get the high RPM.

Kind Regards

Nigel

That's a very nice drill bits set and the price is even better. I will buy one too

Thanks for the idea. I just ordered this inexpensive set from Amazon;

Nice find Thumbsup The larger shank is easily gripped in the chuck of whatever you are using.I always found anything less than 0.5mm diameter dubious to get to run true with a plain drill with shank the same size as the cutting end.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have found that electric drills tend to walk around the spot where you want to drill, so I get my Dremel with a small diamond bit and touch the exact spot. Then the drill penetrates right where you want it.

Both the hand drill and the dremel are the answers. A regular power drill is far too big. The Dremel angle attachment shown in a previous comment is a bit awkward to use but makes for a good drill when you're trying to work on the deck through the masts and rigging; otherwise a normal Dremel drill will work very well for more than 80% of the holes you need to drill. The Dremel drill stand also is a nice addition if and when you have the money.

I do as much drilling as I can with a pin vise because it's more accurate. You can also minimise breakage of thin bits by sliding the bit in as far as you can and just drilling with the tip.

Back