Best Mississippi River Paddle Boat wooden Kit

Kurt Konrath

Kurt Konrath

I was wanting to eventually build a wooden Mississippi Paddle Boat.

I am thinking large scale 1:90 or larger.

I have found old AL King of Mississippi kit on eBay but was wondering what suggestions may out from those who may have built this kit or one from another company

Please let me know what you know!

Thanks

Kurt K

I remember a lot of griping about the King of the Mississippi kit on a usenet forum a very long time ago. As far as a kit goes, The Model Expo Chaperon looks pretty nice:
. There was a LOT of variations on the general theme of a box on a raft, and there are plans available from the National Parks Service's Historic American Engineering Record and other sources if you want to go the scratch route.

The AL kit is an OK and fun kit without major issues ( except the main stairway which is s technical challenge). The only issues to be noted is on older kits, the cabin ballroom fittings do not lign up with the deck holes, so be aware ( mine from 5 years ago okay). Also the 2nd layer on the hull has just(barely enough wood supplied) so be frugal and dont thtow away cutoffs.

It is a fun ship to build and the instructions are complete for once. Lots of metal & PE and LOTS of very fiddly painting. Easy to add a motor & lights for animated paddle.

For what it is , its good value. its builds to approx 50cm in length and being flat bottomed does snot need a stand.
Great kit to relax with.

A timely post:

www.occre.com

they make the MS riverboat, but I think I like the AL version better. M.E. has that chaperon that looks really nice too.

If you buy from eBay, just be aware that sometimes plans / manuals and parts are robbed from the boxes. I am not saying all do, just have heard of bad stories that the next thing I read here on the forum is someone wanting to know if they have the plans and manual for the xyz model as they got it from ebay.

I would just buy the Chaperon from Model Expo as they usually have sales on all the time.

I have the Constructo "River Queen" mostly built and think it makes a nicer river boat than most, especially when painted. The wood seems better and it goes together well. I have seen a couple Robert E Lee models that are nice also but not sure of the kit,

I have the Constructo "River Queen"
Do you have the link to that kit? I did not know anything about the Constructo version - I also remember the R.E.L but now I can't remmeber where I saw it.

I found this link:

here is a link to the premier model ship kits. I would say this one is probably the MOST detailed one yet. I have seen this one and it is lovely.

Here is the Amati Page

My amati... But it's not on the scale you are looking for

Attachments

• IMG_20200414_004050.jpg
    IMG_20200414_004050.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 27
If I may add, I went back to your original post about 1:90 scale.
I might be wrong, but a 1:90 scale of a steam paddle boat is going to be quite small.
I might be wrong, but that would make the boat about 12 to 18 inches long (??)

the chaperon from model-e is 1;47 at almost 36 inches. So 18 inches sounds about right for a 1:90. Kind of small. if you do find a 1:90, it will lack serious detail and be toyish looking.

but then again, I am not sure what you are striving for.

Amati It's 1:150 still decent but not a big model
1586872862121..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to just see what the overall dimensions are? Maybe they post this info on site and just ignore the scale. It might all be typo error or something.
it’s all give and take. You might like dimension but you might not like the appearance of product.

Back