Best Type of Sander

Question: What is the best TYPE of sander? I.e. disk, oscillating spindle, belt or ????

It will be used primarily for modeling so small is better than large due to limited storage space when it's not in use. The first big job it will be used for is sanding the char off the many rib parts on my newly acquired Druid kit.

I am very close to ordering a Byrnes but wanted to put this question out first in case there might be a better suited option.

Glenn

Question: What is the best TYPE of sander? I.e. disk, oscillating spindle, belt or ????

It will be used primarily for modeling so small is better than large due to limited storage space when it's not in use. The first big job it will be used for is sanding the char off the many rib parts on my newly acquired Druid kit.

I am very close to ordering a Byrnes but wanted to put this question out first in case there might be a better suited option.

Glenn
I have belt, oscillating, disk and spindle. The one I use the most is the Byrnes disk sander. It all depends on the type of modeling you will be doing. If I were to scratch build POF’s I would think a spindle sander would be very useful.

There are belt/disk sanders to buy for a reasonable price And when you have a Drillpress table you have a spindle sander in that case too. 2 machines, 4 options

The best sander is the one that suits the sanding job the best with regard to access, wood grain direction, amount of wood you desire to remove and how fast, etc. It’s best to have a selection.

Example: for controlled angle sanding of parts and general shaping, the Byrnes is a favorite. I have a cheap 3” wide by 4” long bench top belt sander from eBay (China) that is great for sanding the long edges of planks for tapering.

The oscillating “mouse” sander plus used with course grit to shape a hull with filler blocks of soft wood by sanding, and the point and curved edge can sculpt the inside curves above the deadwood with ease. My most used sander are the old fashioned hand sanding blocks, which you make in various shapes such a dowel for inside curves, and of course a couple flat ones of various grits.

The vertical oscillating drum sander is used occasionally for large radius inside curves and removing wood fast, and as a general purpose sander.

If you were looking for a specific type of sander with good quality at a good price, I can only refer you to that $50 belt sander I found on eBay, but other members here have Byrnes and other types of sanders they would recommend.

The only thing I can add is don't get one that is too fast. My go to sander is a 3x21" vertical belt sander. It would be perfect if it was variable speed. The way it is now (3450 rpm) as soon as the belt is slightly worn it starts to burn the wood.

My space is limited so I hope to get by with only 1 sander. I'm also a firm believer in quality over quantity and am fortunate enough to be in a position right now to afford the Byrnes.

My reservation for the spindle sander is the inability to reach inside corners. That leaves the disk and belt types. I prefer to avoid the combination tools. My experience is that they are a compromise of the various functions while a single purpose tools specializes in the one function it is designed for.

Another modeler pointed out the limitation of several brands of disk sanders ability to sand interior curves or corners due to guards on the outer edge of the disk. The Byrnes does not have this guard, one of my reasons for looking at it. Of course the accuracy I'll be able to sand inside angles will depend on my ability to apply the abrasive paper with little to no runout but that's on me, not the machine.

I'll look at the belt sanders available thanks to @DARIVS ARCHITECTVS post above.

Thanks for the responses so far, keep them coming.

I have a vintage Craftsman combo belt/disk sander, a not-vintage Ridgid oscillating convertible edge/spindle sander, a large sanding disc attachment for my lathe, a thickness sander my Dad engineered, a Porter-Cable handheld random orbital sander, a Craftsman handheld belt sander, sanding drums for the drill press, and of course sanding attachments for the Dremel. All get used in some fashion, but the two that get the most use are the Ridgid convertible and the Porter-Cable palm sander. If I ever got off my butt to source some finer grade belts and spindles for the Ridgid it would become even more versatile. I also have a Harbor Freight belt sander, but I only use that for sharpening blades.

The only thing I can add is don't get one that is too fast. My go to sander is a 3x21" vertical belt sander. It would be perfect if it was variable speed. The way it is now (3450 rpm) as soon as the belt is slightly worn it starts to burn the wood.
Yeah, I have a large Ryobi sander like that it’s far too aggressive for most work. It’s hard to control the angle of cut and amount of wood removed. The little DC powered Chinese belt sander is variable speed and with an 80 grit belt, you have better control.

I have a vintage Craftsman combo belt/disk sander, a not-vintage Ridgid oscillating convertible edge/spindle sander, a large sanding disc attachment for my lathe, a thickness sander my Dad engineered, a Porter-Cable handheld random orbital sander, a Craftsman handheld belt sander, sanding drums for the drill press, and of course sanding attachments for the Dremel. All get used in some fashion, but the two that get the most use are the Ridgid convertible and the Porter-Cable palm sander. If I ever got off my butt to source some finer grade belts and spindles for the Ridgid it would become even more versatile. I also have a Harbor Freight belt sander, but I only use that for sharpening blades.
Also those tools are really great for general carpentry work, but large ungainly for shaping tiny model ship parts, but they can be used if you are careful.

I've got a nice 1/4 sheet Makita palm sander but can't imagine where it would be useful on my ship models. I've sold off my 10" Sears table saw, thickness planer and jointer because they sat unused for several years. Gave a wood lathe to my brother in law for the same reason. I just lost interest in full size woodworking, but I'm really enjoying these little ships and am finding myself accumulating little tools. We moved into a smaller house a few years ago with much less room for my hobbies, this also impacts what I acquire.

I've got a nice 1/4 sheet Makita palm sander but can't imagine where it would be useful on my ship models. I've sold off my 10" Sears table saw, thickness planer and jointer because they sat unused for several years. Gave a wood lathe to my brother in law for the same reason. I just lost interest in full size woodworking, but I'm really enjoying these little ships and am finding myself accumulating little tools. We moved into a smaller house a few years ago with much less room for my hobbies, this also impacts what I acquire.
Glenn, that is the funniest avatar yet...

I’ve been looking for an electric oscillating tool similar to a micro saws-all that you can fit diamond files to. There are pneumatic ones but they require air and are too large for fine model work.

I’ve been looking for an electric oscillating tool similar to a micro saws-all that you can fit diamond files to. There are pneumatic ones but they require air and are too large for fine model work.

NO!!! Don't give Kurt more tools for cutting his ship apart!

Thanks MM2Cvs9E=MC^2 !

I saw that tool, and it’s really great except small files cannot be used with it, and the double blades cut too wide a kerf for detail work. The counter cutting blades prevent breakage for delicate cuts but I was looking for a power-file. It hasn’t been invented by some clever manufacturer like Dremel or Micro-Mark yet.

Back