Best wood kits for Cutty Sark and Pourquoi Pas for RC

Hi,

I try to figure out, which kit would be the best for Cutty Sark and the Pourquoi Pas to make / transform for real sailing with RC. I found that Billing Boats may look the best and more accurate than others. The other kits have little like toy looking result.
I know bulid from scratch would be better option for accuracy and usage, but starting from a kit would shorten building time as some part are ther and the materials also. This is the goal...

I think both the Cutty Sark kits by Mantua and Billings are around 1/75 scale and probably too small for a working remote control model.
You would be better placed to scratch build the model in 1/48 scale in my opinion.

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Do you have already experience with a full rigged square sail RC-model?
As I know from a friend it is absolutely not easy to make everything working, especially if you want to sail with sails and not only with the ship propeller....

Take a look at the square rigged RC model of the sloop Constellation built by @JerryTodd

Jerrys sloop is 1:36 and the clipper kit models are 1:75 ........

Thanks for the replies.
You are right it is better building from scratch. As I found, the best available plan is on the dutch modell site, created by Griethuysen, it is the most accurate, at least in many details.
But they sell these plans very expensive, which is over my budget. Does anybody have it, or available for download for personal use?

Cutty Sark by Nepean Longridge may still be available. He describes in detail the Cutty Sark in 1:48

Hi,

I try to figure out, which kit would be the best for Cutty Sark and the Pourquoi Pas to make / transform for real sailing with RC. I found that Billing Boats may look the best and more accurate than others. The other kits have little like toy looking result.
I know bulid from scratch would be better option for accuracy and usage, but starting from a kit would shorten building time as some part are ther and the materials also. This is the goal...
Hallo @gigantusz
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Did you make already a decision related the Cutty Sark ?

Back