BigMike,s Blandford Cross Section 1:32 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

This is the start of my build log for 1:32 scale Blandford cross section build. I started last fall with the build board and milling up some Cherry boards for the keel and frames. My Soleil Royal kit came in and I started working on it so the Blandford was put on the shelf.

I started cutting out the frames and gluing them up. Double sided tape worked well to hold the pieces to the pattern while I glued them up.

Next up is to fit the frames to the keel in the build board and square them up.
I downloaded the revised plan set to make sure I had all the changes. I suggest you do that, there were a few I didn’t catch.
This is a fun build and a great learning experience, thanks to all for providing the project.

OkGot frames all cut out. I decided to use cherry treenails to simulate the frame bolts. So I got out the trusty old Byrnes draw plate and pulled some nails. I like the contrast of the end grain the nail gives on the frame piece.
Spreader bars in place and the frames fitted into the build board. I had to adjust my board for the frames to fit into the keel. I cut notches a little big and lowered the support posts so the frames would fit into keel notches. This so worked well only thing is the water line mark is 2mm above the board.

I plumbed the frames. I glued small wood tabs to hold the frames tight in the jig once in place. I put spacers between frames to help keep everything square. Frames glued to keel.

Up next is to sand inside frames to get belvel from step keel and start hold framing.

Hi Mike,
You are off to a fine start; the frames look very nice. I always must adjust the sawtooth type jigs to make things work right. I normally use a gantry jig but since this is an introductory project, I felt like a basic jig would be best to use. If you decide to continue scratch building, you should consider a gantry system. I posted some info on the type I use.
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/building-board-gantry-type.1331/#post-21091
Mike

Hi Mike,
You are off to a fine start; the frames look very nice. I always must adjust the sawtooth type jigs to make things work right. I normally use a gantry jig but since this is an introductory project, I felt like a basic jig would be best to use. If you decide to continue scratch building, you should consider a gantry system. I posted some info on the type I use.
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/building-board-gantry-type.1331/#post-21091
Mike
The jig works great. I downloaded updated plans and if I would have redone my jig I would have been fine. Even working with what I had it was just minor adjustments. The plans are great and you have hooked another builder to the scratch world.:p The gantry board is on my list, thanks for the link.

Back