BigMike,s Blandford Cross Section 1:32 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

G'day Mike
Beautiful work, you are definitely a master craftsman. About the ledgers.....I noticed that you are not using smaller size lumber.
When you do the plans for us to use, will it be that way or are there going to be an alternate design for people who would like to use a smaller size for the ledgers?
The one who will opt for this method, could cut a mortise all the way through and put a tiny 'chock' at the bottom to imitate a true motive cut.

Thanks Knut and Dave.
Hi Greg, thanks for the compliment. I took the easy way on the ledges. Maybe Mike41 could show the mortises for thinner ledge on the Ontario build. He was detailing that build more. I'm looking forward to doing that one also.
G'day Mike
I got confused between the two Mike and the two builds. My only excuse is that, I had a very bad night last night and couldn't sleep. I did that post at 4,45am and my brain wasn't in gear.
Thanks for understanding my ignorance mate.

Here's a few progress pics. I turned a couple posts supporting the lower deck beams. Worked on the hatches, frame is made of bloodwood grating is boxwood. I used the method Mike41 showed and it worked out well. Waterways are installed they are made of boxwood. Spirketting is bloodwood. I don't know if I will put treenails in spirketting or not. Made cistern with brass wire to simulate nails. I'm not sure if I like how it turned out may paint it. To make the wheel covers I just shaped scrape wood leaving wheel pieces undersized to allow for planks.
Next is to do the deck planking in Holly. I will probably use tooth picks for deck treenails.IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0172.jpgIMG_0173.jpgIMG_0174.jpgIMG_0175.jpg

Here's a few progress pics. I turned a couple posts supporting the lower deck beams. Worked on the hatches, frame is made of bloodwood grating is boxwood. I used the method Mike41 showed and it worked out well. Waterways are installed they are made of boxwood. Spirketting is bloodwood. I don't know if I will put treenails in spirketting or not. Made cistern with brass wire to simulate nails. I'm not sure if I like how it turned out may paint it. To make the wheel covers I just shaped scrape wood leaving wheel pieces undersized to allow for planks.
Next is to do the deck planking in Holly. I will probably use tooth picks for deck treenails.View attachment 86743View attachment 86744View attachment 86745View attachment 86746View attachment 86747
Nice job. Hope mine turns out half as good. Looks great.

Back