BigMike,s Blandford Cross Section 1:32 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Here’s were I’m at as of today.
Hatched and elm pumps installed. Rails completed. I used jet black dye on pear for the top rail also same dye and wood for Wales. Planks are boxwood. The Wales are trenailed and a scarf is cut on the third plank but the dye hides everything.
558B9D82-A114-4DA7-9D85-C35182B9C82B.jpeg
09BAABE1-1D7F-48B0-9D7F-947A325FBD95.jpeg52CCEF33-4011-4E54-BED9-AA8352A3EA0A.jpegDFB5D6A4-4104-4B37-BACB-75C70EAB0AC0.jpeg897ABCE2-8DA3-4A03-B570-982DFEAB36A3.jpeg3E78B224-B0BA-41FC-A434-12CBF1F94DC9.jpeg

Now heading for the home stretch, it’s been a blast

Beautiful build Mike,another example of GREAT CRAFTSMANSHIP, MIKE WHAT IS THE THICKNESS OF THE GUN PORT LINERS, and the GUNPORT LINNER SILLS LOOK LIKE THE THICKNESS IS DIFFERENT, and do you have any details of how you did the RAILS I am getting there back to work on it. Don

Beautiful build Mike,another example of GREAT CRAFTSMANSHIP, MIKE WHAT IS THE THICKNESS OF THE GUN PORT LINERS, and the GUNPORT LINNER SILLS LOOK LIKE THE THICKNESS IS DIFFERENT, and do you have any details of how you did the RAILS I am getting there back to work on it. Don
Hi Don,
The gunport frames are 1/8 thick. They are all pretty close, I used a file and sanding stick to get to the correct hight from the deck to the top of sill.
For the rails I followed the way Mike41 made them. His log has a good explanation. I used my band saw to cut the 15 degree angle on the waist rail, used a round nose mill cutter to make the grove. The grove is made black with the same Pigma archival ink pen that I use for simulating the caulking between planks.
The supports are pined and the planksheer is made in two pieces both 1/16 thickness. The first piece is glued ang pinned to the supports, the second piece I rounded over the edges and glued to the first making a nice little profile.
Following the patterns made this easier do, they matched closely to my model. Just adjust to your model and you'll be fine. Hope this helps Don, have fun getting back to work on it.

Hello everyone! Well this is about as far as I’m going with my Blandford build. All I need to do is make a display board. I ordered the canon from daves lumberyard, they are very well done. The carriage comes with the canon. There was very little to clean up to the very detailed gun all I did was paint them a gun metal. The carriage went together flawlessly, I dyed them a blood wood color. Ridged the guns with some rope and blocks I had on hand.
This was a great experience and has converted me back to scratch building. Thanks Mike, Donnie, Zoltan and everyone who helped put this together. Your hard work is much appropriated.

DBD23FD4-7EBA-400B-B80A-AC18F8D43497.jpegDCC4736D-DE8F-4F7B-881C-870FAC393EE8.jpeg05674FF0-73F0-4779-8D96-31563ED4E0F3.jpegF6C45957-2340-400B-A83A-F1E9CD3670E1.jpeg2069FC87-A4DF-482E-A692-906A7F74C35B.jpeg

I’ll post in completed section when I get it on display.

Hi Mike, WONDERFUL BUILD EXCELENT CRAFTMANSHIP, QUESTION WHAT KIND OF MATERIAL DID YOU USE ON THE CARRIAGES, I TOO HAVE THE ONES FROM DAVES THE GUNS ARE REALLY FANTASTIC, ALSO I WANTED TO DO THE RAILS IN TWO DIFFERENT WOODS BUT WAS WONDERING AFTER LOOKING AT YOUR BUILD I WILL DO IT, using BOXWOOD AND ROSEWOOD, also will explain my difficlties with the gun ports etc, and the solution, will post as soon as I verify that it will work, and one other question are the heights of the GUN PORTS FRONT AND AFT OR IS THE FRONT ONE AT AN ANGEL WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY ARE THE IN A STRAIGHT LINE TO EACH OTHER. THANKS Don

Congratulations to "finish" this great model - well done and executed
I have only one small comment, and I think you should re-do it.

The rigging, blocks and tackles of the guns is far to under-dimensioned .
One shot and the gun would jump around on the deck - Take some thicker ropes, so it would fit much better and would look more realistic

Back