BigMike,s Blandford Cross Section 1:32 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Congrats Mike with a great, yet another accomplishment! Very well executed. Many thanks for giving us a chance to learn and enjoy while you build it!!! Thumbsup
Thanks for all the encouragement during the build Jim. It's time for you to scratch build my friend, you definitely have the skill. Just do it you will love it.:)

Hi Mike, WONDERFUL BUILD EXCELENT CRAFTMANSHIP, QUESTION WHAT KIND OF MATERIAL DID YOU USE ON THE CARRIAGES, I TOO HAVE THE ONES FROM DAVES THE GUNS ARE REALLY FANTASTIC, ALSO I WANTED TO DO THE RAILS IN TWO DIFFERENT WOODS BUT WAS WONDERING AFTER LOOKING AT YOUR BUILD I WILL DO IT, using BOXWOOD AND ROSEWOOD, also will explain my difficlties with the gun ports etc, and the solution, will post as soon as I verify that it will work, and one other question are the heights of the GUN PORTS FRONT AND AFT OR IS THE FRONT ONE AT AN ANGEL WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY ARE THE IN A STRAIGHT LINE TO EACH OTHER. THANKS Don
Thanks Don. The carriages came from the lumberyard with the canon. Looked like maybe beech, I'm not sure.

Thanks, Mike for believing in my skills. I am actually getting really close to starting, but first, I am looking for my first POF kit so I can get an idea what is it. I am hoping with Alert kit coming soon to get started. :)

Congratulations to "finish" this great model - well done and executed
I have only one small comment, and I think you should re-do it.

The rigging, blocks and tackles of the guns is far to under-dimensioned .
One shot and the gun would jump around on the deck - Take some thicker ropes, so it would fit much better and would look more realistic
Thanks for the compliment Uwe. You are absolutely right about the blocks and rope. I have to order some larger blocks or I may just try to make some myself. I had these on hand but the pics really show how undersized they are. Your comments are always welcome and I will re-do them.

Hi Mike he certainly does have the skills to do a scratch, I am trying it with the LE ROCHEFORT, WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DOING IT and I love doing POF that DAVE STEVENS INTRODUCED ME TO, come on JIM, I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM YOU, YOU FOUND OUT ABOUT GLUES, CA, PVA, FILES THE CORRECT WAY TO USE THEM, etc, etc,etc, MIKE IS CORRECT YOU ARE MORE THEN CAPABLE. Don

Hi Mike he certainly does have the skills to do a scratch, I am trying it with the LE ROCHEFORT, WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DOING IT and I love doing POF that DAVE STEVENS INTRODUCED ME TO, come on JIM, I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM YOU, YOU FOUND OUT ABOUT GLUES, CA, PVA, FILES THE CORRECT WAY TO USE THEM, etc, etc,etc, MIKE IS CORRECT YOU ARE MORE THEN CAPABLE. Don
Right on Don. Thumbsup

Hey Jim the Alert looks to be a very nice project. With all the members interested in that build it should be great for a group build.

Yes, Mike! I think the way @Trident Model make the kit, Is will be a very nice model and great practice with frame assembly and keel layout. I am looking forward (and cannot actually wait to have it and start the build. And you mentioned, it should be a nice group build!

come on JIM, I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM YOU, YOU FOUND OUT ABOUT GLUES, CA, PVA, FILES THE CORRECT WAY TO USE THEM, etc, etc,etc, MIKE IS CORRECT YOU ARE MORE THEN CAPABLE. Don
...one day I will start my first scratch build, but not today...I might have skills but I don't have the most important 'bit' - enough knowledge. I am planning to grasp it with my Alert (POF) kit build.

Thanks for the compliment Uwe. You are absolutely right about the blocks and rope. I have to order some larger blocks or I may just try to make some myself. I had these on hand but the pics really show how undersized they are. Your comments are always welcome and I will re-do them.
Mike: By far the more common error is to make the cannon rigging too large and out of scale. Your breaching line can be thicker, and your blocks slightly bigger, but not too much! If you have to make a mistake regarding scale, I much prefer smaller rather than too large. Most modelers go the other way. Your model is beautiful! I agree with Uwe: Redo the cannon rigging. Your hard work deserves it! Great job!

Mike, I read all the way through your build and it is surely an inspiration as I start mine. I hope that mine will be at least half as good as this, and I will be happy. My problem so far is the wood selection. It is going very slow. I want mine to be a little different than the others here. So, anyway, congratulations !!
I would love to add some of your finished photos to the Contributors gallery - and as far as that goes anyone else can too. So, send me some completed pics via PM to me.

Donnie

Mike, I read all the way through your build and it is surely an inspiration as I start mine. I hope that mine will be at least half as good as this, and I will be happy. My problem so far is the wood selection. It is going very slow. I want mine to be a little different than the others here. So, anyway, congratulations !!
I would love to add some of your finished photos to the Contributors gallery - and as far as that goes anyone else can too. So, send me some completed pics via PM to me.

Donnie
Thank you for the nice compliment and I know your build will be outstanding as always. This was a great project and all the work put in by Mike and all involved making this project happen is much appreciated. It was a fun build and a great learning experience. All the members helping each other is just amazing, always someone to answer questions, plenty of pics to see how things were done. Have fun!

Back