Billings, Corel or ???

I am looking at my next build...and have decides to build the Wasa...I have read a few of the building logs and I am really excited about this project. What I am confused about is which model to purchase...Billings or Corel...Can anyone make any suggestions and provide reasons why? Thank you for your assistance.

Mark

The plastic figures, might be plastic, but they are according to many people better scaled and easyer to bend into shape than the metal ones

You might look at being plastic as a downside, but there's more to it

Perhaps, but my old Wasa kit had plastic deadeyes and tackle blocks which was awful.
Agree with your comment that the decorations are fine being in plastic, as these are painted anyway. ;)

No idea if blocks and dead eyes are plastic in today's kit, if they are, needs to be replaced definetly

If I was going to make the wasa, and I plan on doing it eventually, the factor of choice for me would be the figures, since everything else you can work arround easyer than you can work arround the figures, unless you are good at carving

And maybe @md1400cs can share his opinion, he has a great one built

Hi Mark, I asked the SOS forum the same question a few months back. Here is a link to that conversation: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/which-vasa-kit-to-start-from.5842/#post-123372.

I ended up selecting the version sold by Model Space (DeAgostini). I am only getting started. There is a link to my build log with my signature below if you haven't seen it. I'm new to this hobby so I can't tell you much about how this kit might compare to others since I have no point of reference. The instructions are written for newer builders and place an emphasis on ease-of-build vs. full-on accuracy. While I fit into the newer builder category I am using the instructions as a guide rather than dogma.

Oh, please note that the DeAg castings are a white metal - they are not shiny/finished like Corel (and not plastic like Billings). In other words, if you pick DeAg you are also committing to painting and this is no small commitment!

Whatever you choose I hope you will post a build-log. I would love to follow your work!

The Vasa is a magnificent ship - best of luck with your decision and your build!

I suppose you have heard of the Chinese ZHL set of 1/78 scale ornaments and figures for the Wasa. And yes, it is awfully expensive at some $ 535, but they are once again absolutely beautiful: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swedish-Wa...862204?hash=item4d82cb967c:g:22cAAOSwHSdb~RX2
I looked at these when I was considering the Corel kit. Read the fine-print carefully - if memory serves they mention that the scale of these ornaments may not work with the Corel scale (or something like that). Also, these carvings are flat and many of the real carvings are curved. Not sure if they can be shaped (sanded) or bent...
I'm not trying to talk you out of them - but at that price you want to make sure you are getting something you can use! They sure look beautiful!

Last edited:
Billings supply about the worst soft friable timber of any kit manufacturer. You can produce a good build if you use the hull parts as templates onto something better, replace the blocks, basically a super bash. Don'y use any of the stock then sell the kit on ebay.

Last edited:
If you are choosing between Billings and Corel from my experience I would choose Corel. I found Billings kits difficult to build. The plan sets were not very detailed and the instructions made a lot of assumptions of knowledge. The kit materials were average to subpar. I built the Bounty by Billings and the build was difficult and I ended up using alternative information, substituting out kit materials for better quality, and did a lot of kit bashing to get a decent model. I have found Corel to be easier to understand the build process, better kit materials, and more detailed instructions. Just my experience...

Hi,
I built the Corel HMS VICTORY. I found that the instructions appear terrible until you really read them several times with the plans, then they are sort of ok. The rigging instructions and plans were good.
Also Corel takes a lot of licence with the accuracy of the plans: ie. they place the helm and binnacle out on the deck away from being under the poop deck. Also no office fittings(doors etc., though no one would see them. I did put them in my model.
I would suggest you try to get a copy of the real deck plans.
It was a good model. I made it for my Grandson for his office to remember me later on.
1604806168184.jpeg

Hi,
I built the Corel HMS VICTORY. I found that the instructions appear terrible until you really read them several times with the plans, then they are sort of ok. The rigging instructions and plans were good.
Also Corel takes a lot of licence with the accuracy of the plans: ie. they place the helm and binnacle out on the deck away from being under the poop deck. Also no office fittings(doors etc., though no one would see them. I did put them in my model.
I would suggest you try to get a copy of the real deck plans.
It was a good model. I made it for my Grandson for his office to remember me later on.
View attachment 191622
What a great build...and a beautiful rememberance your Grandson will have!

Thank you for your replies...I have now looked into the DeAgostini version...unfortunately it is sold out. I still keep flip flopping...I am currently building the Amati HMS Bounty...and the main issue is the poor translation of the instructions from the Italian to English...This is a concern with which ever Vasa kit I purchase.

I am looking at my next build...and have decides to build the Wasa...I have read a few of the building logs and I am really excited about this project. What I am confused about is which model to purchase...Billings or Corel...Can anyone make any suggestions and provide reasons why? Thank you for your assistance.

Mark
Hallo Mark alias @Eyedent
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back