Bitts question

This is a picture of the riding bitts of the Discovery1789. It is from a drawing for the initial modifications for the journey to the west coast. The red is existing and the green is proposed. They were raising the QD and forecastle I believe. What I'm confused about is the beams that the bitts are mounted on. They seem to be a bit (heh,heh) higher than the rest of the beams. can anyone explain that to me? Sorry the pic is so small, I can't seem to make it bigger.

bitts.jpgbitts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a picture of the riding bitts of the Discovery1789. It is from a drawing for the initial modifications for the journey to the west coast. The red is existing and the green is proposed. They were raising the QD and forecastle I believe. What I'm confused about is the beams that the bitts are mounted on. They seem to be a bit (heh,heh) higher than the rest of the beams. can anyone explain that to me? Sorry the pic is so small, I can't seem to make it bigger.

View attachment 258618
unfortunately you resized the photo or scan of this drawing, so it is too small to recognize anything .....

at the NMM we can fins these drawings of the Discovery, maybe you use one of these to mark the area you mean

j0509.jpg

j2022.jpg

j2021.jpg

j2024.jpg

The first drawing is the one I took it from. I just cropped it. I don't know how to enlarge that area. Here's an arrow pointing at the beam that seems to be a bit high.bit.jpg

OK - it is relatively simple

aaa.jpg

I guess you mean this difference in the height of the beam which is shown in the logitudinal section

It is caused by the camber of the beams - in the center the top of the beam is higher than at the outside, where the beams are based on the frames. The bitts are at the center of the ship, so it is the same beam, but the base of the bitts is higher

here in green the location of the bitts and the camber shown in both drawings with the red lines

bbb.jpg

I thought it may have been the camber but I couldn't figure out why they showed it like that but I guess they are trying to show the detail of the bitts attachment and for that they needed to raise the beam. Well at least in the drawing. Thanks Uwek, one more bit of info:)

so the beam is not raised - it is only the camber of the beam

Yeah, as soon as I wrote that I thought it would be misunderstood. I've got it, problem solved, Thanks Uwek

Last edited:
Excellent presentation Uwe. I just learned a lot from this one example. Thank you !!!

Back