Black pearl build from China [COMPLETED BUILD]

My grandfather could soak a piece of wood in ammonia and when it came out of the soak he would shake it, it literally looked as limber as a rope. I have been using the ammonia method for tight bends in wood for a long time when I was fresh out of school my first job was as a carpenter doing finish work I made round windows and arched windows in a church they would soak that wood for says in straight water once I told them about using ammonia it would be ready to bend in 24 hours.

never has when I've used heat I was using an adjustable heat iron for shrinking up covering on Planes. Haven't tried it since I switched to a curling iron haven't needed to bend anything that wouldn't work with just water and heat. I only use ammonia for scrolling just about any other bend you wont need it and you will find most of the time you wont need heat when using Ammonia.

she's getting there Brother, Crazy they used actual chains for the chain plates on your version and flat Brass for mine. I am working on the Masts right now and looking at the rigging in the book of instructions compared to what the plans show I am finding there are some differences between the two. I'll try and stay with the plans for that part of it, But it will help to know how most ship rigging is done fortunately I have built a lot of ships and that being my favorite part of building I have that memorized for the most part. Another thing to keep in mind is I think this kit is modeled after the Queen Ann.

Rigging is also my favorite part of the build. That's why I try to include sails on my builds. It requires a lot more rigging, Are you going to furl you sails?

Yes Mostly because I want the sails to be black and my daughter doesn't want to have large black sections. I really shouldn't care what she wants because the ship will be my Grandsons. But in order for it to be displayed in her living room for him she doesn't want the large black sails, she initially didn't want me to put any on until I showed her a furled sail ship. I'll be building a Display case for the ship once its done. A buddy said he can vacuum the air out if that's something I want I don't really know if it will be of any benefit.

I continue to work on the main top rail. I didn't like the parts provided so I stained some wood I have in ebony and used a heat bender to set the shape. I completed on side of the dead eyes and chain plates.

Looking good Brother, I'm working on the Masts right now pretty simple to construct those I have them mostly finished, but still a bit to do before I set them on the ship. I had to figure out what was happening with the drawing because at the point the mast work comes in the instructions aren't much help so its all off the drawings. there are things going on labeled R1, R2, R3 and so on those aren't clear of its being done on every mast so at this point I assume it does and am proceeding with that thought. already I can see there wont be enough rigging line to complete the build and believe me I use it very sparingly I found some line looks like it's exactly what's being used so I ordered it in all the sizes if you need that info let me know I'll fire the links to you through PM

Back