Black pearl build from China [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well I found some 2mm blocks in my old stock and have re positioned the eye bolt on the cannon carriage, the position is not correct but serves the propose. I can now rig and place the cannon to fire position and have an adequate space between them to look "OK" . I will send some pictures. 2mm blocks are a challenge to work with. I needed to use my mirco drill bits to ream them out to run line. I do have some 1mm blocks, I ordered the just to see if it was true that they could be made. I'm not sure if I could find any line to rig though them. Under magnification, sure enough they are well formed blocks.

Last edited:
I am waiting on some 3mm dowel to make some 2mm blocks from. I wanted something that would finish off well so I am having the dowels made from poplar they will be painted black. Poplar has a good clean finish so I think it will work out nicely. I may try and make a 1mm block just to see if I can do it that will be a challenge for sure. I'm close to getting my new room done so hopefully I can get back to my builds soon. Will be nice to have the space. looking forward to seeing how you did your Blocks Brother.

I'm going to wait until I have completed all of the deck and hull work to place the cannon port lids, I have had too many accidents with torn off lids in the past and have learned my lesson. When looking at the pictures I do see a lot of detail clean up work to be done, isn't that always the case?

hi chaps i,m following both your build logs and have to say without the excellent pictures and comments i would have probably abandoned my black pearl build before i started.I was purchased the kit from ebay by my son for christmas and it was obviously some cheap copy.There were no plans or instructions no rigging thread,no second planking, no deadeyes or deck fitting nsvery few parts at all really except for several poor quality laser cut sheets with several pieces missing or split.As it was a present I do intend to at least create some kind of ship by making and purchasing as many missing parts as I can and ,as a novice builder being able to access your logs and build methods at least allows me a chance to build something.thanks chaps

Stay with it. A lot of the parts provided with the kit I didn't like anyway so I swapped them out for other parts I had sitting around. There are so many variations on this ship that making some changes will not affect the overall effect when complete. Post some pictures and we can make some suggestions that may help.

I have now completed all of the railing and stairways. I'm waiting on some materials I ordered from Bluejacket and Model Expo to arrive. I am upgrading some of the rigging elements from the original kit. View attachment 76739View attachment 76740View attachment 76741View attachment 76742View attachment 76743View attachment 76744View attachment 76745View attachment 76746
That Kit is on my " I want it " List the ZHL all Scenario Kit, but since I am full with Commission Works , I think that that will be added to my Retirement Plan :p:p

I am now again working on hand stitching the bolt ropes into the sails. This will take some time. I also need to dye the rest of the sails. There are 11 in all and I found that the measurements on the plans for the yard length and mast heights do not match the size of the sails provided. so I will complete all of the sails and produce yards to fit and measure the mast sections to carry the sails correctly.

Back