Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

Windows for the captain’s quarters. I sandwiched window frames and sheet of plastic between two layers of black walnut. The plastic came from one of the containers in the kit, and I painted the window frame with Artist’s Loft old gold acrylic then a coat of Testers Craft Precious Metals Premium gold leafing finish. 5A443AD7-633A-4B86-9FFF-7925376161AE.jpeg

Nice paint job, detailed.

How the heck did you get the black trim around the gold so good?

That would be a tough paint job for me.
The black was laser burn from ZHL. I bought some very fine brushes. I still wound up scraping a bit of gold off with my xacto knife before it dried.

Where is the bottle of rum that is missing from the table????

I lied. I forgot to show how I did the lights in the cabin. I was able to hide most of it or paint it black. I thought it was easier to solder several pieces together to a lead and thus have fewer wires to solder at one time. I also cut a groove for a lead wire to go toward the aft lateens. So one more set of pictures. image.jpgimage.jpg

I also missed a cutout into the captain’s cabin. I put the walnut backing with the corresponding cutout on the port side instead of the starboard. Again, that’s what you get when you rush things. I don’t mind, though. There are plenty of apertures with the sets of windows and a skylight. 78B8B333-7EE4-4CF5-8BED-FD4ED6C44053.jpegI’m just mentioning it in case someone else building this vessel runs into the same types of things.

Back