Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

Great ambience from the lit captain's cabin. It makes me wish one could be there at the time - the things taking place and the conversations conversed inside that cabin must have been something - if only fictional!:)

Hi Vic,
I missed a lot in a few days, you are going faster then the black pearl sails.
She is becoming a true queen of the pirate fleet.

Thank you, Maarten. I was trying to get it done by thanksgiving next Thursday, but that’s not happening. I’ll have to work on it after driving 900 miles to Omaha, Nebraska. That means I’ll have to take most of my shipyard with me. Good thing I mostly have the masts and rigging left. Oh, I forgot about the ornaments and sails and lifeboats. Ugh!

Yup, and Vic said he's a newb.... I think we got a pro here thats pullin legs. Go on, pull the other one!

Beautiful work my friend, absolutely beautiful :)
Be careful on that trip too.

Yup, and Vic said he's a newb.... I think we got a pro here thats pullin legs. Go on, pull the other one!

Beautiful work my friend, absolutely beautiful :)
Be careful on that trip too.
Change of plans. Daughter says lots of covid in Nebraska and several have gotten sick where she works. She’s not comfortable with us coming now. I’m looking at February. I’m disappointed, but maybe I can finish the Pearl before we go.

Im glad you decided to stay home and safe then Vic, we're ready to tip into purple here so Im going to be staying in as much as I
can too. As far as the glue loosening, depends on which brand you use. I have no issues with Elmers but I do use the same bottle I use
building furnature and house stuff. The shine can be knocked off with some sanding though.

Keep well buddy :)

Im glad you decided to stay home and safe then Vic, we're ready to tip into purple here so Im going to be staying in as much as I
can too. As far as the glue loosening, depends on which brand you use. I have no issues with Elmers but I do use the same bottle I use
building furnature and house stuff. The shine can be knocked off with some sanding though.

Keep well buddy :)
I sanded before I used the tung oil. I don't want to sand too heavily. The black walnut veneer is pretty thin. The tung oil looks so nice; I hate to mess with it. I was using Titebond II. I thought it was supposed to be pretty good.

I’ve noticed some down sides to ironing planks. One would be that it can make them shiny. And then I found that tung oil seems to loosen the glue on the planks.
Hello Vic, in order to avoid the 'shiny' effect, you have to moister with water before 'ironing', but most importantly, you don't have to 'iron' the way you iron clothes, just touchy effect, the iron must not be extremely hot. ;)

Back