Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

Wheel and binnacle installed. Printed compass rose on photo paper and cut out. Too bad can’t see skull in center of compass. View attachment 197009

I really like what you did to the "cabinet" Vic.. glad to learn the real name and purpose for it... also nice touch on the compass... hats off to you for being able to mount it to the deck on those tiny spindly legs... on my BP, I tried in vain to secure the legs but finally gave up and just chopped them off altogether.

;)I really like what you did to the "cabinet" Vic.. glad to learn the real name and purpose for it... also nice touch on the compass... hats off to you for being able to mount it to the deck on those tiny spindly legs... on my BP, I tried in vain to secure the legs but finally gave up and just chopped them off altogether.
We will see how long it lasts.

Starting work on bow. I used .5 mm planks to cover raw ends.View attachment 198143

Hi Vic...I hesitate to comment for fear I might seem like a wiseass, but on my BP, I thought it was better to install the bowsprit before I put in the railings... this way, it makes it easier to tie the gammoning ropes without the rails being in the way of my fat fingers..Your build is looking really good.

Good point. I was just going in the order of the instructions...more or less. Thanks for the encouragement. At 1:50, this is much easier than my 1:100 scale Constitution as far as fat fingers go. Yours was a smaller scale than my Pearl wasn’t it?

Good point. I was just going in the order of the instructions...more or less. Thanks for the encouragement. At 1:50, this is much easier than my 1:100 scale Constitution as far as fat fingers go. Yours was a smaller scale than my Pearl wasn’t it?

Glad to hear that worked out for you Vic. My BP was 1:65 scale so it was a bit tighter reach through the bowsprit to tie the gammoning. Keep it up... your ship looks great.

Glad to hear that worked out for you Vic. My BP was 1:65 scale so it was a bit tighter reach through the bowsprit to tie the gammoning. Keep it up... your ship looks great.
I thought you did an amazing and much more precise job than I, Reggie. I was astounded at how quickly you completed it.

Building the anchors. Very precise work. It took an hour just to figure out how to make it. I wrapped the brass straps around tightly and drilled holes for the nails with my 1/32” bit. I couldn’t drill too deeply because the diameter of the nails is smaller than that of the hole. Nailed the sides as well. It’s hard to make a round ring. If anyone has some ideas, I’m open. 6089280D-7D59-47C6-8A59-98D633282947.jpegimage.jpg

It’s hard to make a round ring. If anyone has some ideas, I’m open.
Hello Vic, a very simple way to make rings is to wrap the wire around the drill bit to make a spring. Then, you can cut individual rings with cutters. You choose the diameter of the drill bit smaller than a ring you will need. ;)

Hello Vic, a very simple way to make rings is to wrap the wire around the drill bit to make a spring. Then, you can cut individual rings with cutters. You choose the diameter of the drill bit smaller than a ring you will need. ;)
I ended up using a dowel from the yards. I had a little trouble getting the ends to line up without deforming the ring. Soldering was a bear too. Maybe I’ll get good at it before my Soleil Royal.

Back