Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

Also, looking at the pictures in The Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship so amicably supplied by @Jimsky, it appears the masts are made in laminate fashion, and the bindings would help hold them together. There were also bands surrounding the masts at various intervals. I haven't seen many of those on builds, however.

Okay, I’ve read that bands go below and above the wooldings. Some use brown paper and paint it black. Should there be two bands per woolding? I’m not finding very many pictures.

I am not certain, but I think that iron banding of masts was an 1800’s practice. I did some review about when the BP would have been built (sometime around 1700 is likely). I think that might be too early for iron bands on masts. I am open to any other thoughts as well.

Jeff, according to the book by Anderson, I believe it mentions bands above and below the wooldings. This is a book about ships from the 1600s and 1700s. If I am in error, these pirates are either anachronistic or ahead of their time. Anyway, they’re already on. I know I made them too wide. I just saw a Swedish Facebook post in another forum showing a video on putting them on the mast. Iron, wood, and fire! Impressive!392FB322-E6CE-4D63-9DDB-912D2D27FAE3.jpeg

Jeff, according to the book by Anderson, I believe it mentions bands above and below the wooldings. This is a book about ships from the 1600s and 1700s. If I am in error, these pirates are either anachronistic or ahead of their time. Anyway, they’re already on. I know I made them too wide. I just saw a Swedish Facebook post in another forum showing a video on putting them on the mast. Iron, wood, and fire! Impressive!View attachment 205064
Fantastic Vic! And thanks for sharing what you have learned!

Vic, thanks for setting me straight. I'll have to consider whether to do this on my BP. I am curious why both bands and wooldings are needed.

Vic, thanks for setting me straight. I'll have to consider whether to do this on my BP. I am curious why both bands and wooldings are needed.
Maybe someone with more expertise than I have can share with both of us. What was your source. I’m certainly no expert.

Hello Vic and all
* Wooldings (Wuhhings; Rousture)

Ropes bound tightly around the mast were known as wooldings; they were intended to help strengthen the lower mast. Their number on the mast differed according to the ship's size. Steel recommended eleven on the mainmast for large ships and nine for Frigates. Other sources speak of between six and nine.
Steele also specified that each woolding should consist of thirteen tightly wound turns, with each turn nailed to the mast. To prevent them from cutting into the woolding, the nail heads were underlaid with pieces of leather.
Timber hoops1/1.2 in wide were usually fitted above and below the woolding, nailed to the mast, and slightly greater in thickness than the woolding rope. Mizzen masts were fitted with wooldings after 1730, normally two fewer than on the foremast, but the mizzen mats of small ships remained without wooldings or iron hoops until the end of the century. Some large ships may have been fitted with mizzen mast wooldings by 1700 or even earlier.
Strong iron hoops were driven on to strengthen the mast structure. These Iron hoops came in to use mainly in the second half of the century, at first together with mast wooldings. After 1800 wooldings were no longer used.
During the first half of the Century, iron hoops were only used on the masthead, and the mast itself was strengthened by wooldings. Some models of the large ships from before 1750, however, provide evidence of some use of iron hoops on the masts as well, either in place of or together with wooldings.

Hope this helps.

...others are unknown and based on contemporary models. IMHO. I used Karl Marquardt and Steele books as a reference. Basically, wooldings alone with timber\iron hoops were used on 'made masts' as a reinforcement. The number of wooldings depends on the size of the ship. Wooldings were replaced later with iron hoops.

Checking in again an I'm floored as to how much you have accomplished!

The ship looks stunning from your pictures.
I can't wait to start my BP build.
I've pulled out the schematics and hung them up as inspiration to hurry up and finish the Enterprise, lol.

Though I am restraining myself and trying not to rush the end of the Enterprise built.

keep up the good work and keep posting those picsThumbsup

Checking in again an I'm floored as to how much you have accomplished!

The ship looks stunning from your pictures.
I can't wait to start my BP build.
I've pulled out the schematics and hung them up as inspiration to hurry up and finish the Enterprise, lol.

Though I am restraining myself and trying not to rush the end of the Enterprise built.

keep up the good work and keep posting those picsThumbsup
I’m expecting that you will do much better than I. I’m starting with little experience and less patience and no skill with a rushed timetable. I can’t wait to see what you will accomplish. You’re doing great on your current build.

I think I just discovered that I may have done the iron bands wrong. I’ve seen pictures with something almost touching the wooldings above and below that look suspiciously like bands. Wouldn’t the heat from the bands cause the wooldings to catch fire, or woold the wouldings be applied after the iron bands are on?

Back