Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

I’ve rigged the main mast shrouds and lanyards. It wasn’t too bad. They say that practice makes perfect. I’m getting a lot of practice, but it’s not perfect. View attachment 206478

Looking good Vic. Ship shape. When I do deadeyes they always seem to get cattiwampus for some reason.

Looking good Vic. Ship shape. When I do deadeyes they always seem to get cattiwampus for some reason.
I think that’s the first time they all lined up pretty well. Now I have to find something for a spar to put across the shrouds. I want something uniform. I guess I’ll look at some dowels at Wally World tomorrow when I get a replacement for the Admiral ‘s needle threader I broke today.

I couldn’t find dowels thin enough so I bought some flat skinny sticks and cut them in two and sanded them down to round on my belt sander. Then I figured out a way to lash them onto the shrouds where the knots were in the back. I don’t know what you call the spar above the deadeyes, but here’s one of them. 43EB136F-8B63-4448-8905-4E68B4EF4817.jpeg

Wait , what?
150 ratlines, 25 hours, uhmm you're scaring me.
Actually, it turned out a few less. I increased the distance between ratlines a couple of mm and I only do one side of one mast at a time, so it pretty much spreads out over a week. And I can putter around on ornaments or research while my back and shoulders rest up from the lactic acid buildup. Check how much U5 thread you have. They shorted me by about two spools. I think they confused the U4 with the U5 and it's too thick for ratlines by a tad. I have three spools of U4 without much use for it. I wound up using some .3mm polyester stiff thread to finish over half my ratlines. I'm not sure I like it, but the Admiral can't tell the difference until she touches it. I wish I had laid out all the line in order from U1-U6 to see how much I had. If I had known earlier, I would have contacted Max at ZHL to ask for more U5 thread. Right now, I don't want to stop my progress while I wait. I'm on a tight schedule.

Now I’m bending the little strips of brass to fit around the brass rod, keel, and stern for the rudder. It seems like a late stage to cut the rectangular hole for the rudder to fit in. I have to turn the ship upside down while the mast is sticking between my legs. Tricky. Then I had to fiddle with the brass piece to shape it. Finally, I got to look for all the belaying pins that fell on the carpet when I had the ship upside down. I think I’ll wait until I need the belaying pins before I reinstall them. image.jpgBB6156C2-D8FA-43C3-B902-15F7144F6228.jpegimage.jpg

Back