Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

you are building a fantasy\mistery ship, Vic. It will sail no matter what, I have never heard of any sunken BP :)

This is my first lateen sail. There was very little information that I could find that related to what I was building. The plans had it in them, but the rigging for lifting it up the mast wasn’t there. Neither was the rigging for attaching the sail to the boom, or the parrel, or the rigging for the end of the sail. I’m pretty happy with the result, but I think maybe the front end tilts too low. I added blocks to raise it and lower it on the mast and the parrel 766B3365-9236-4933-A353-08C5EF5D0D93.jpeg9FF04C97-1EB9-4F70-BBC9-AAF85528E603.jpeg

Last edited:
This is my first lateen sail. There was very little information that I could find that related to what I was building. The plans had it in them, but the rigging for lifting it up the mast wasn’t there. Neither was the rigging for attaching the sail to the boom, or the parrel, or the rigging for the end of the sail. I’m pretty happy with the result, but I think maybe the front end tilts too low. I added blocks to raise it and lower it on the mast and the parrel View attachment 212828View attachment 212849
I think you did a great job on the sail.

I just learned a new method (for me) to tie blocks to masts and spars. It involves a couple of slip knots. I was tired of clunky looking knots from doing double knots. View attachment 213068
Well, that didn’t work. The knot broke while I was adjusting rigging. Then a block’s hole was too small for the line. Then while I was drilling it out, the block exploded. Then an eyebolt came loose on a block and all the lines tangled. At least I got the mizzen top sail done. I’ve spent two days trying to install one sail. Maybe tomorrow.

Hang in there - those phases are all part and parcel of what we are doing!

Well, that didn’t work. The knot broke while I was adjusting rigging. Then a block’s hole was too small for the line. Then while I was drilling it out, the block exploded. Then an eyebolt came loose on a block and all the lines tangled. At least I got the mizzen top sail done. I’ve spent two days trying to install one sail. Maybe tomorrow.
In my experience some days are better than others! It all seems to get better with a new morning. You got this!

Hence why my Admiral calls my Bluenose the 500,000 “c” word ship. :rolleyes:

When I hear about all those low temperatures I shudder. I saw snow for the first time in my life three years ago in China! Give me my 40+ degrees of a summer's day in Paarl, South Africa anytime!

Back