Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

After that, the Admiral sews the edges in a kind of zig-zagging pattern. Notice that I did not use clews since I don’t plan on rigging clew lines. Reefer lines are attached. Now it’s tea time—for the sail, not me! I prefer coffee. I just want to darken the sails a bit. After they dry, I can shape them. image.jpgimage.jpg

I had been painting sanding primer on my sails to stiffen them up a little. Afterwards, I placed Saran Wrap cellophane on it and poured water over it to form the billows. This time it’s looking good so far without the wrap and water. We’ll see how it looks after drying. image.jpg

I had been painting sanding primer on my sails to stiffen them up a little. Afterwards, I placed Saran Wrap cellophane on it and poured water over it to form the billows. This time it’s looking good so far without the wrap and water. We’ll see how it looks after drying. View attachment 215035
That’s an interesting technique. I’ve had good success with a hair dryer and spray starch.

In retrospect, I probably should have started rigging sails from the foremast back. I think I would have been able to reach belaying pins more easily.

Back