Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

Wow...looking fantastic Vic...love what you did with the sails and the rigging. I am impressed with your effort on the mast braces. If I recall, the instructions were quite a bit fuzzy on how to rig the braces, so I just decided to forego them on my BP(notwithstanding that the kit didn't have enough blocks to do them). Keep it up my friend. Am really enjoying following your build.

Wow...looking fantastic Vic...love what you did with the sails and the rigging. I am impressed with your effort on the mast braces. If I recall, the instructions were quite a bit fuzzy on how to rig the braces, so I just decided to forego them on my BP(notwithstanding that the kit didn't have enough blocks to do them). Keep it up my friend. Am really enjoying following your build.
Thanks, Reggie! You were an inspiration to me when you were doing yours. I think my plans might have been a little more specific. The All-Scenario Version has four different rigging plans, and you have to know what to discard and what to incorporate with the other plans, but I eventually kind of figured it out. I’m hoping I have enough blocks to finish the course. I definitely didn’t have enough line. I think I’ll buy some extra on my Soleil Royal before I even get started. I already bought some 2mm blocks for gun rigging from Cornwall. I wish I had had them for the BP. Although I probably wouldn’t have been able to start the masts yet. Rigging guns is a pain.

I’m trying a self-threading polyester jewelry thread for my lanyards and rat lines. I ran out of the u5 thread that was supplied in the kit along with the u6. I don’t have to spread glue on the tips of the polyester and it’s stiff and doesn’t need beeswax. It does need glue on the knots, though. Otherwise, it might pop out of the knot. image.jpg

Reggie, even on this bigger scale ship, there are no indications where the course braces, lateen, and jibs would tie off. I just researched as much as I could, asked a lot of questions, and wound up putting them where I thought they made sense.

Modelling is coming to a screeching halt. The Admiral's friend from Omaha is visiting for a couple of weeks. Between entertaining, visiting the Alamo and missions and museums, I have to work more hours at Sylvan Learning Center because kids are on spring break. (Teaching is my other hobby.) We're also watching a teenager for one of our friends in Sunday school for a day. Ooooh, maybe I can use modelling as an excuse to get away from the ladies for a while.;)

Hi Vic...nothing wrong with taking a break....at where you are in the build, the Admiral must offer you high credential status! Have fun with the Ladies!

I got word that my kit should arrive DHL sometime next week! Perhaps I’ll start a build thread, but I doubt if I can come anywhere near what Jodie and you have provided the mates here...perhaps I’ll do one on the lighter side for novice pirates!

Last edited:
Hi Vic...nothing wrong with taking a break....at where you are in the build, the Admiral must offer you high credential status! Have fun with the Ladies!

I got word that my kit should arrive DHL sometime next week! Perhaps I’ll start a build thread, but I doubt if I can come near anywhere near what Jordie and you have provide the mates here...perhaps I’ll do one on the lighter side for novice pirates!
Great idea! I was a novice at the beginning of the BP build. I had almost finished my Constitution just before and had to switch to the BP for a gift. Right now, I'm barely above novice level, but I'm learning, albeit slowly. I'm looking forward to following your build.

Sails and Flag look great.

Cannot believe how fast you have moved on this ship !

I'm finally finished with the Enterprise 1799, and ready to start the BP :).

First, I'll spend a week or more reading the build logs that I have seen for this ship.

The Black Pearl, is a 3 masted 2 deck ship and that is a step up from my last build (and it has lights Explosion mind blown).

I'm definitely am ordering those lights.

Keep up the excellent work.

Question: On page 4 of your log, the second post down I see an image with 2 doors that you added hinges to.
Now that you are almost done are those 2 doors visible?

Sails and Flag look great.

Cannot believe how fast you have moved on this ship !

I'm finally finished with the Enterprise 1799, and ready to start the BP :).

First, I'll spend a week or more reading the build logs that I have seen for this ship.

The Black Pearl, is a 3 masted 2 deck ship and that is a step up from my last build (and it has lights Explosion mind blown).

I'm definitely am ordering those lights.

Keep up the excellent work.
I can't wait! Do you know how to link your build logs in your signature block? It makes it easier to access them.

You can buy a 3 volt power supply that will accommodate 50 nano pico leds. For an extra $4.50 you can get it with an on/off switch and a battery powered option. That’s what I went with. The leds come with 14” wires attached. I got some extra wire and shrink tubes (variety pack) for lengthening wires if needed. MystRacing suggested Evansdesigns.com. They were great to work with. Sheryl talked me through it. If you want the same package I got, you can mention my name—Vic Fordyce with the Black Pearl build. Good luck!

I got 40 but lost 16 out of 20 in my carpet. No way to hold them down and you’ve got to be more precise than I am capable of to solder them. I just got my lights from Evans Designs. They look great in the package. Apparently the anodes and cathodes have a sealer over then so I don’t have to worry about their touching the sides of the lantern cages and shorting out. View attachment 185354View attachment 185355View attachment 185356View attachment 185357View attachment 185358View attachment 185359
@Vfordyce

Concerning these lights and power supply.

Would you still recommend them now that you had a chance to use them?

In the pics above it looks like you purchased a 2AA power supply and a DC plugin power supply.
If so, which did you decide on ?

Lastly, where do the power supplies go, in the ship hull?

Thanks for any help.

Back