Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

@Vfordyce

Concerning these lights and power supply.

Would you still recommend them now that you had a chance to use them?

In the pics above it looks like you purchased a 2AA power supply and a DC plugin power supply.
If so, which did you decide on ?

Lastly, where do the power supplies go, in the ship hull?

Thanks for any help.
I actually got both, not knowing if the recipient had an outlet near the display area. It wasn't that much more. The Evans Designs LEDs were infinitely easier to work with. I love the results and it makes it easier to see inside the ship. If I had it to do over, I would have brought up the wires to the aft lanterns individually at three different points instead of running them along the top of the transom. Once the Neptune decorations were laid down on top the transom with epoxy, there was no going back. Now I have one that doesn't work, and I don't know how to fix it. Life of the lights is supposed to be 200 hours, so use them sparingly.

Oh
@Vfordyce

Concerning these lights and power supply.

Would you still recommend them now that you had a chance to use them?

In the pics above it looks like you purchased a 2AA power supply and a DC plugin power supply.
If so, which did you decide on ?

Lastly, where do the power supplies go, in the ship hull?

Thanks for any help.
I forgot to mention the power supply location. I just had it come out the bottom of the ship--nothing fancy. Jodie did it the way the directions said. Tony H has an interesting twist on his base. You might take a look at that. I had toyed with the idea of building the coffin and placing the power supply there, but I thought it looked hokie. The wires will probably be place on the opposite side of the viewer in most cases. That's the port side in this case. Basically, builder's choice.

Oh

I forgot to mention the power supply location. I just had it come out the bottom of the ship--nothing fancy. Jodie did it the way the directions said. Tony H has an interesting twist on his base. You might take a look at that. I had toyed with the idea of building the coffin and placing the power supply there, but I thought it looked hokie. The wires will probably be place on the opposite side of the viewer in most cases. That's the port side in this case. Basically, builder's choice.
I can’t help it Vic but every time I see or hear Jodie I harken back to my military days and have to chuckle.

@Vfordyce

Thanks for answering my questions. one or two more.

How many nano leds did u use?

Is Nano the right size or would you pick Pico on your next time?

I guess it's time to setup my BP buid log.

I bought 30 to have at least one extra, just in case. Nano worked fine for me, except for the ones in the aft lanterns. I wanted to use the ones that came with the kit, but one wouldn't work with my setup and the others sometimes made the circuit seem to short. You might try by testing them. They are the big ones with long anodes/cathodes. (Listen to me--I'm talking like I know something about this.) Jodie was my go-to guy. I PM'd him several times to get ideas--especially when it came to electrical. I also consulted the lady at Evans. She was very friendly and helpful. Make sure you link the log to your signature block for me!:)

@Vfordyce

Thanks for answering my questions. one or two more.

How many nano leds did u use?

Is Nano the right size or would you pick Pico on your next time?

I guess it's time to setup my BP buid log.
They do have different options for lights: warm white, flickering candlelight, and orange. You can try to use those in different places even. Enjoy your build! I know I will.

Hi matey,

I was planning on just dying the sails charcoal grey but I'll wait to see how yours turn out.

I was wondering when you began the fairing of the hull.
That process where you sand the bulkheads to fit the planks with as little bending as possible.

Doing this after attaching the bulkheads to the keel would seem to be a problem.
To much pressure on the bulkhead and it breaks or comes out of square.

Your thoughts?

Hi matey,

I was planning on just dying the sails charcoal grey but I'll wait to see how yours turn out.

That process where you sand the bulkheads to fit the planks with as little bending as possible.

Doing this after attaching the bulkheads to the keel would seem to be a problem.

Your thoughts?
I'm no expert on planking for sure. I did it the easy way and used the drum sander on my Dremel. Quick and easy with no pressure. If you find a better way, let me know. I was in a hurry when I did it. But I have seen that some people put in Styrofoam or balsa wood or some other filler and then sand. They fill it in to provide an even surface that's continuous and provides more even support for the planks. I'm thinking of doing that for my next project.

Hi matey,

Your thoughts?
Here's an example of filling in for support by Y.T.: filler.jpg

Vic, I think your sewing work on the sails is excellent. The block, hook and eye look great! I started my build. Can't even imagine accomplishing what you have already.

Back