Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

Okay, after 8 hours, I've completed 4 lights and lost 10, either through burning them up or by dropping them on the carpet. I give up! I'm ordering nano LEDs from Evans Designs, along with extra wire, shrink tube, and a 3 volt adapter/transformer with a switch and a battery pack. They are super helpful and want a picture of the finished product for their gallery. Maybe I can get it done by Thanksgiving now! I'm not holding my breath.

So I’m working on cannon while I’m waiting for LEDs. I don’t see any strapping to keep the guns on carriages in the directions. Maybe I missed them. They also don’t show any blocks for restraining ropes. I’m still trying to decide whether to paint carriages dark red or just use tung oil. I’m thinking it could look pretty dingy if I don’t add some color to it. 4DC1C8AF-027F-4732-BEB0-D5F239A53025.jpeg

I like the old rustic look of the cannons.

As for the LEDs, wow 4 in 8 hours! I would have lasted 1 hour and dumped them.
Waiting to see how the new LEDs will fit into your work.
Also wondering if you will need a different power supply for the new LEDs.

I already made up my mind to not use the LEDs in the kit after reading MystRacing's build log on this.

So I’m working on cannon while I’m waiting for LEDs. I don’t see any strapping to keep the guns on carriages in the directions. Maybe I missed them. They also don’t show any blocks for restraining ropes. I’m still trying to decide whether to paint carriages dark red or just use tung oil. I’m thinking it could look pretty dingy if I don’t add some color to it. View attachment 183999

I agree with you,
so I would definitely add some capsquare made out of strips cut out from a brass sheet
cannon plans.jpg cannon 17.jpg

I like the old rustic look of the cannons.

As for the LEDs, wow 4 in 8 hours! I would have lasted 1 hour and dumped them.
Waiting to see how the new LEDs will fit into your work.
Also wondering if you will need a different power supply for the new LEDs.

I already made up my mind to not use the LEDs in the kit after reading MystRacing's build log on this.
You can buy a 3 volt power supply that will accommodate 50 nano pico leds. For an extra $4.50 you can get it with an on/off switch and a battery powered option. That’s what I went with. The leds come with 14” wires attached. I got some extra wire and shrink tubes (variety pack) for lengthening wires if needed. MystRacing suggested Evansdesigns.com. They were great to work with. Sheryl talked me through it. If you want the same package I got, you can mention my name—Vic Fordyce with the Black Pearl build. Good luck!

It would be nice to have a quoin as well, but I’m not ambitious enough to carve 34 of them with tiny buttons. Thanks Uwe. Do you know if anyone has made cap square eyebolts, joint bolts and keys? That would be cool to look at one already made up.
Hello Victator, Try to fabricate your own, it is not difficult, and trust me, it is not less fun than assemble parts together. In the end, you will be rewarded with all those small additions. We have a number of threads of making the eyebolts, all you need - is bras\copper wire, soldering iron, and willingness. Capsquare can be made out of thick, black paper.

Hello Victator, Try to fabricate your own, it is not difficult, and trust me, it is not less fun than assemble parts together. In the end, you will be rewarded with all those small additions. We have a number of threads of making the eyebolts, all you need - is bras\copper wire, soldering iron, and willingness. Capsquare can be made out of thick, black paper.
I think I can handle the capsquare okay but I’m not sure I’m up for the quoin. Also, the starboard side of the hull is open so there’s nothing to attach rigging to on the gun deck on one side.

I tried installing capsquares on the gun carriages to hold down guns. The first iteration employed scrap brass. It looks good, but is hard to work with, and I don’t have a lot of it to work with. On the other hand, I thought copper might be easier. So I hammered some excess copper wire flat. I think it will be easier and the Admiral likes it better. 5FFADE16-B450-4D76-A341-D101EBC23999.jpeg2DDBE5BF-988A-4582-9B5F-A50EC3D328E4.jpeg

You can buy a 3 volt power supply that will accommodate 50 nano pico leds. For an extra $4.50 you can get it with an on/off switch and a battery powered option. That’s what I went with. The leds come with 14” wires attached. I got some extra wire and shrink tubes (variety pack) for lengthening wires if needed. MystRacing suggested Evansdesigns.com. They were great to work with. Sheryl talked me through it. If you want the same package I got, you can mention my name—Vic Fordyce with the Black Pearl build. Good luck!
Definitely will look into this.

I just got the Black Pearl kit and those LEDs are tiny, to tiny to solder. Also I only got about 30 of them.
Can't wait to see how you assemble the lights.

The cannons look great.

I'm eager to start but still have a few months to finish on the Enterprise.

Definitely will look into this.

I just got the Black Pearl kit and those LEDs are tiny, to tiny to solder. Also I only got about 30 of them.
Can't wait to see how you assemble the lights.

The cannons look great.

I'm eager to start but still have a few months to finish on the Enterprise.
I got 40 but lost 16 out of 20 in my carpet. No way to hold them down and you’ve got to be more precise than I am capable of to solder them. I just got my lights from Evans Designs. They look great in the package. Apparently the anodes and cathodes have a sealer over then so I don’t have to worry about their touching the sides of the lantern cages and shorting out. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back