Blocks and Hearts sizes

Hi all rigging experts, I'm starting to work my way through making all of the rigging fittings listed in McKay's AOTS HMS Victory, and I have a simple query. On his drawings on pages 114 and 115, McKay typically gives basic dimensions and, underneath the height dimension, adds, in brackets other sizes. In the example here, a closed heart, he says "(also 14", 17" & 26")". My query is this - should all the other dimensions be scaled to suit? I suspect it is very obviously 'yes, of course', but thought I'd check anyway.

image.png.e6adc6520349a73865e2ed9439e37879.png

Just a small point of interest, James Lees show that for the forestays the collars were made up using open hearts rather than closed hearts from 1773 until 1810 when the collars were no longer used. More of a question actually, anyone have any idea why they changed? I assume for easier rigging the lanyard but then looking in Lees' book again, there are drawings that show closed hearts for the mainstay and preventer until 1793. Wonder why it was twenty years after the forestay?
I hope this is not going to keep me awake tonight.....Sleep
Allan

Back