blocks with loops

i saw somewhere a demonstration of how to tie a block with a loop but i can't find it again, what is the easiest way to achieve this, i did one last night and it worked out ok but i feel there must be an easier way and i have a few of them to tie so any help would be appreciated

I use very similar method, Sea Burd but also use another clamp, with another vice, to hold the long trailing end of the rope, that way it doesn't flop around. That would be 5-10cm away to the right of the one in the video. It's good for creating a double loop to attach blocks to yards.P1060782.JPG

The method that SeaBurd posted is the simplest I know of. It's a bit of a bear at first, but after you have done a ship's worth of those block strops, you will be surprised how quickly and cleanly you can turn them out. If this is your first go, I would suggest doing several blocks before you commit to putting any on the ship. You can always cut the strop free and redo it. Then when you start to feel comfortable you can put your best ones on the yards or wherever you need.

Another rigging video I found super useful is Tom Lauria's on eyesplices.

The whole rigging is going to be a learning experience. Lol. Any you guys live by me, lol.

I have made small loops on stropped blocks by using a needle, loop string around needle, tie half not and glue then add block and tie again to lock in block and glue finished and cut excess.

Just need to wiggle and move needle ASAP to keep glue from sticking to chrome needle.

Works for short no so noticeable loops where needed.

Back