Blocks

I don't really like working with mahogany (brittle, open grained, splintering) but these blocks do look REALLY GOOD.
Janos

janos said:
I don't really like working with mahogany (brittle, open grained, splintering) but these blocks do look REALLY GOOD.
Janos

I would just stain the pear or box wood blocks

There was no brand name on the packets Zoly, but I bought them at this company.

you can download their accessories catalogue.

http://www.floataboat.com.au/history.htm

Actually, I have been wanting to make some similar to these a long time ago.

Hi Janos,
they come in various sizes from 3mm to 15 mm , but the ones in my picture are 4mm and 8 mm sizes.

They are a bit pricey at $ 1 each.

Well, expensive, but if we have to make them, it would be 20-30 minutes each, so - not that expensive, except we are a retiree with unlimited time available.
Janos

John,
This Polish site referred by you is likely the same I bought a few block a while ago. If they are the same, they do a good job.
Just besides, to clear the desk I would like to say something. On that certain other site some clever guy stated that the blocks we are praising here are again 'stolen' items. It is not so. Blocks (the full size ones) are excessively documented on different sites, in books and other documents. Their size and shape are standardized so this data does not have to be 'stolen' to be able to make them for model size. This accusation is probably the same if someone wanted to sue someone else for cutting a threaded rod. Ridiculous.
Janos

The russians are one of the best ship model builders in the world obviously they make nice blocks too not just some parts of the ship,the accusation is hilarious.

Back