Blue Nose II 1:75 scale

Thank you for letting me join !!
This is my first build.
My question : How do I tell the difference between the deck plating (#22 basswood) and the side waterways #24 basswood) ? They have the same measurements

This is my first build.
My question : How do I tell the difference between the deck plating (#22 basswood) and the side waterways #24 basswood) ? They have the same measurements
Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
From which manufacturer is your kit?

This is my first build.
Hi Geneindawoods,
Welcom on the SoS. Nice to read there is another BN build.
I am not building the Bluenose from AL, but surching the internet on ‘Bluenose 1:75’ I found this extensive reports. Perhaps this will help you:
-> http://www.modelboatyard.com/bluenose2.html <-
On the left, under Bluenose II, you can find the articles. On the first page, there is also a link.
Perhaps, you will show us your build in a build-log?
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Geneindawoods,
Welcom on the SoS. Nice to read there is another BN build.
I am not building the Bluenose from AL, but surching the internet on ‘Bluenose 1:75’ I found this extensive reports. Perhaps this will help you:
-> http://www.modelboatyard.com/bluenose2.html <-
On the left, under Bluenose II, you can find the articles. On the first page, there is also a link.
Perhaps, you will show us your build in a build-log?
Regards, Peter
In addition, you will find a lot of information about the original vessel in our group build area for the Bluenose from another manufacturer

This is my first build.
Hi Geneindawoods, and welcome to the forum.

I am pretty new here as well and my first build is also AL's Bluenose II model.

I believe the reference to the basswood planks #22 ands #24 are one and the same thing. I think it is just AL's way of separating the items of the Parts List based on what the part is actually used for, and not what it is made of or its dimensions.

In this instance, parts #22 (Deck Planking) and #24 (Side Waterways) are theoretically two different parts, but the same material.

1629068789671.png

1629068834780.png

It confused me at first as well, especially having to identify parts based on their dimensions. The 'Quantity' column helps a bit, if you want to count all the pieces.

Also, AL does make some rather staggering mistakes in their wording which I'm sure you have already noticed. Their very first instruction (#1 - False Keel and Frames) reads:

Once all the parts of the board have been detached, fit and glue the frames 2 to 15 onto the corresponding ratlines on the vertical keel 1, ensuring that the upper part of the same is perfectly plumb and making a 90º angle to it. Finally, glue the stays 16 and 17 into their corresponding grooves 16 and 17 on the ship’s masts.

'Ratlines' should be 'slots' maybe, and 'masts' should be 'false keel' :oops:

Good luck and enjoy the build, there are very helpful people on this forum Thumbsup

- Mark

I believe the reference to the basswood planks #22 ands #24 are one and the same thing. I think it is just AL's way of separating the items of the Parts List based on what the part is actually used for, and not what it is made of or its dimensions.

In this instance, parts #22 (Deck Planking) and #24 (Side Waterways) are theoretically two different parts, but the same material.

View attachment 250628

View attachment 250629

It confused me at first as well, especially having to identify parts based on their dimensions. The 'Quantity' column helps a bit, if you want to count all the pieces.

Also, AL does make some rather staggering mistakes in their wording which I'm sure you have already noticed. Their very first instruction (#1 - False Keel and Frames) reads:

Good luck and enjoy the build, there are very helpful people on this forum Thumbsup

- Mark
Also, it should not be “stays” 16 and 17, but bulkheads 16 and 17. A stay is a line used for standing rigging. You will learn this later. ;)

Also, it should not be “stays” 16 and 17, but bulkheads 16 and 17. A stay is a line used for standing rigging. You will learn this later. ;)
Yes, the 'stays' is all wrong, I missed that one thanks Dean. I think I only got by as I had been reading some Patrick O'Brian novels, and had to do a serious amount of cross-referencing to understand all the naval terminology. By the time I bought the BNII I at least knew the difference between a ratline and a bulkhead :p

View attachment 250628

View attachment 250629

- Mark
Thanks Mark , that cleared up some things for me. I've been noticing some errors also.

Yes, the 'stays' is all wrong, I missed that one thanks Dean. I think I only got by as I had been reading some Patrick O'Brian novels, and had to do a serious amount of cross-referencing to understand all the naval terminology. By the time I bought the BNII I at least knew the difference between a ratline and a bulkhead :p
Yes, when I built my first ship, there was a lot of learning to do on naval terminology! I am still learning to this day. I don’t think it ever ends…lol. Especially if you build different types of ships. I started with a tall ship with square sails, then a Xebec with lateen sails, and now a schooner with booms and gaffs. All different types of sails and rigging! With each their own terminology and challenges. ;)

This is my first build.
Hallo @Geneindawoods
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back