Blue Ridge 1/700 SS Normandie

I’m giving my first resin model a try, a 1/700 SS Normandie. Unfortunately, the bottom half of the hull was considerably wider than the top. This has taken a bunch of time and aggravation to join but it seems like it looks reasonable enough to proceed. I epoxied some nuts to the inside of the hull so I can mount it to a display stand.1.jpg1a.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg6a.jpg6b.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Last edited:
I am also interested, how these small resin model will be build...... different materials, different methods -> so something to learn :cool:

I did some masking and painting. Between the resin and the scale I'm finding it very hard to do a decent paint job. Being basically one big piece there is way too much masking. This is definitely a challenge for me. I'm not sure how I'm going to paint the windows...they are TINY! The black is in gloss now until I get the decals on, then I will tone it down with some flat clear. I prefer styrene lol.10 Masking.jpg11 Masking.jpg12 Masking.jpg13 Paint.jpg14 Paint.jpg15 Paint.jpg16 Paint.jpg17 Paint.jpg

Today I'm experimenting with getting color into the window recesses of 1/700 resin Normandie. Some will have tiny white PE frames over them if I can get them on and some need touch ups.18 Window Paint.jpg19 Window Paint.jpg

I had to take a break from this 1/700 resin Normandie to preserve my sanity. I now attached one side of the lower hull PE window frames and decals. This model is beyond my abilities and patience but I will finish it. The size of the PE and resin combination is not something I will do again lol!19A PE Frames.jpg20 PE Frames.jpg21 Decal.jpg22 PE.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn’t happy with the forecastle paint so I tried to touch it up with a brush. This turned into a disaster as there was a bad paint reaction that ruined the whole forecastle. I thought the model was trash. I stripped it all off with acetone which caused a gloppy mess. After it was cleaned up I sanded, carefully masked and sprayed it again. Thankfully it looks OK to me now. I need to learn to leave well enough alone lol. New paint is on the right in the photo.Repaint.jpg

Well about halfway through these railings I realized I'm putting them on upside down. I assumed the thicker rail was a top course like all the other PE railings I have seen. Turns out it should be on the bottom. Like the old saying says, never assume. I found this out when I got to a pre shaped railing in the well deck area. I am kind of just rushing through it now. This model requires a top notch skill set and experience with resin....and patience with good eyesight. I don't have enough of all three lol!!! It's a learning experience for sure in my case.36 Railing Error.jpg37 Railing Error.jpg

Well I'm calling this 1/700 resin Normandie done. That's about as much as I feel like doing to it. I doubt I will ever put rigging on it as it's so fragile I think a breeze would break stuff off! This was a lot harder to build than I ever thought it would be.38 Done.jpg39 Done.jpg40 Done.jpg41 Done.jpg42 Done.jpg43 Done.jpg44 Done.jpg45 Done.jpg46 Done.jpg

Congratulations for finishing this interesting model - very well done

Back