Bluejacket Grand Banks Dory

An elderly friend of mine has a keen interest in the early days of our east coast fishing. So I promised to build him a grand banks dory. It was a small project but it helped me get back into model making. Sometimes it’s the little things that can give great pleasure.

FBF1A49F-9508-4AA2-A742-0152D94E71FF.jpeg8A29FB93-C7E8-47CA-9090-F09B7D2CF484.jpeg6EAE7677-68E3-44BA-9434-05671E249A7B.jpegF44FE079-F83D-488B-A078-C0205EBA08A0.jpeg64105793-D33A-4D11-8843-F52DC960D826.jpeg8FCCC2B2-AA8D-4AC2-8C7A-2712870B2253.jpeg

An elderly friend of mine has a keen interest in the early days of our east coast fishing. So I promised to build him a grand banks dory. It was a small project but it helped me get back into model making. Sometimes it’s the little things that can give great pleasure.

View attachment 232400View attachment 232401View attachment 232402View attachment 232403View attachment 232404View attachment 232405
This is a very nice and well finished dory at a scale that permits detailing much better than in my MS2130 Bluenose 64 scale schooner. Excellent photos to explore the presentation. Rich (PT-2)

Thanks for your comments Rich. There is an equipped dory in the Fisheries Museum in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. So I went along and did a little research to get a better idea of the equipment a banks dory carried. I had a lot of fun with this project.
Since you are building the Bluenose I know Lunenburg also has meaning to you :) (I just read your Bluenose posts, lots of fascinating information).
Regards,
Roger

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments Rich. There is an equipped dory in the Fisheries Museum in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. So I went along and did a little research to get a better idea of the equipment a banks dory carried. I had a lot of fun with this project.
Since you are building the Bluenose I know Lunenburg also has meaning to you :) (I just read your Bluenose posts, lots of fascinating information).
Regards,
Roger
Lunenberg presents several different offerings for my interest. As a Freemason as was Capt. Angus Walters later in his life I have done some researching into his membership and the Masonic Square and Compass emblem on the transom rail from a photo that in dating seems to bounce between 1935 and his voyage in 1938 to England where the king presented a new full set of sails for BN. I have also been in frequent communication with the shipboard crew of BNII regarding rigging questions as well as the curator of the Fisheries Museum in Lunenberg, and the counterpart in the Nova Scotia Museum in Halifax. A good stock of related books have been the target of my reserves which are frequently tested by new offerings that come along.

Having some sail boat racing in my past, owning, skippering, and crewing I do have a viscerial tie to the past and schooner rigs in general.

On your cannon side of the ship I had a lot of fun turning the steel barrel and making and firing my .20 caliber black powder cannon before the COVID broadside to nineteenth century naval cannons are also a focused interest and study topic. Your build is well done and I'll try to keep following your continuing progress. Rich

@PT-2
Hello Rich, you obviously found the history and research as interesting as your build. It certainly is a remarkable vessel.
In 2012 I was honoured at being invited to the relaunch of Bluenose II. A very memorable day.
Best wishes,
Roger

Beautiful build, love the color scheme and very nice photography
Thanks @tommyg. I read somewhere, but of course cannot now find the reference, that the bright yellow hull colour and green gunwale/caprails helped them to see the dories in the fog banks. Might be an old fisherman’s tale though ;)
Regards,
Roger

@PT-2
Hello Rich, you obviously found the history and research as interesting as your build. It certainly is a remarkable vessel.
In 2012 I was honoured at being invited to the relaunch of Bluenose II. A very memorable day.
Best wishes,
Roger
What a wonderful and memorable invitation to attend the relaunch of BN II. Have you been aboard since then? Rich (PT-2)

Rich, yes it was a great day. It was interesting following the progress of the rebuild, relaunch and outfitting. I have not been back aboard since.
Roger

Back