Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

I was just thinking that items like the hull's color scheme and your nameplate colors have a far greater visual impact than the blocks vs rope issue will have. The blocks look/will look much better than the ropes - so if you want to change that for the sake of accuracy ... well ... (you know what I'm going to say next! :) )

Thanks for the feedback Jimsky! Those tiny blocks were so difficult to deal with, it would be far easier doing it with ropes! Looks better with the blocks, but not right...sigh! So I will change it!
I am glad you have agreed with your mind. ;) Re-do is always a thought decision. In fact, blocks are never used for topgallant shrouds. In earlier centuries, they were secured by means of deadeyes.

Hi Dean. Why don't you extend your philosophy of "artistic Licence" to the rigging? The blocks will look so much better.
By applying the 'artistic License' everywhere, we may end up building an automobile...or airplane or even space shuttle :p Did I said an alien spaceship?

By applying the 'artistic License' everywhere, we may end up building an automobile...or airplane or even space shuttle :p Did I said an alien spaceship?
My artistic license has always been used cosmetically. As you know, the ship thus far is an accurate representation in every way.
But I used artistic license on the paint scheme. I felt the red and black scheme is boring, and everyone uses that. Also, I felt it would be a shame to cover up all of the pear wood with paint! So I chose to use a theme that worked with showing off the wood. And since there was exposed wood, I also chose to add treenails to the unpainted areas. I also used some artistic license on the deck furnishings, but I think it was tasteful...I didn't paint them pink! :p I just added some extra trim, and changed a few colors from grey to white.
That said, I have gone to great lengths thus far, to try to be accurate with the rigging. It requires a lot of scratch building of mast bands, and other metal bits used on the mast, bow sprit, booms, gaffs, etc. So I misinterpreted the rigging plans on the upper shrouds due to not being able to discern what was used. I assumed a lanyard would require a deadeye or pulley, and I could see it wasn't a deadeye.
In conclusion, my approach going forward will be to use a thimble on the shroud line, and remove the lower blocks, However I will use some artistic license on the thimbles. ;) I plan to drill a hole in the upper blocks, and use a rat tail file to core them out. So they won't be round, more oval shaped, but they will be pearwood and I think end up being a nice compromise! I just have to do the same on all of them.
One last thing, if I put some cannons on my schooner, will anyone throw stones at me....LOL! :p

One last thing, if I put some cannons on my schooner, will anyone throw stones at me....LOL!
LOL, Tell me who is the one throwing at you stones and I....and I... but if you put cannons on your schooner, it will be no longer a Bluenose II, it will become its own entity - Bluenose III or IV :p Why not?

I am afraid you get me wrong. I am not against the 'Artistic License' at all, everyone should build the way he\she can\want. Painting schema is one of the examples to use such a license, IMHO. But if you want to attach wheels (nothing wrong with it), but it will no longer be a ship, it will be amphibian or cert of it... :cool:

Nice to see the postman has also rings at your door with new stuff. Now you can go on.
I am just wondering where the guns will be placed? ROTF
The masts looks great! A nice exercise for the rest.
Regards, Peter
Thats why I asked some time ago where the guns will be placed. I saw there here:
1AD0F004-15ED-4E4D-99F0-9BE819025BA4.jpeg
Regards, Peter

LOL, Tell me who is the one throwing at you stones and I....and I... but if you put cannons on your schooner, it will be no longer a Bluenose II, it will become its own entity - Bluenose III or IV :p Why not?

I am afraid you get me wrong. I am not against the 'Artistic License' at all, everyone should build the way he\she can\want. Painting schema is one of the examples to use such a license, IMHO. But if you want to attach wheels (nothing wrong with it), but it will no longer be a ship, it will be amphibian or cert of it... :cool:
I am not implying you are throwing stones at me, but some have in the past...lol. I was just pointing out that I use artistic license in accord with accuracy. So you know...Pink cannons are not off the table, as long as they are physically correct and accurate...ha ha! :p

Thats why I asked some time ago where the guns will be placed. I saw there here:
View attachment 243871
Regards, Peter
You and those carriages...lol.
Those were left over from the Cazador build. Those were provided in the kit, and I ended up scratch building wooden ones to replace them, with encouragement from Jimsky. It's in my build log. I should throw them away I suppose, but I'm a hoarder...lol :p

Those gun carriages could use some artistic license... And is that the chain that came with your ship's wheel? ;) (I just made myself laugh out loud...ROTF.)
Well you know the story behind those...which is why they are in the case, and not on a ship. ;)
The chain...well I actually had some spare chains laying around, so I thought I may find a use for them? I'm a hoarder of materials...what can I say! You just never know when scratch building what you may need!

Well darn, guess I went through more trouble than I needed to! Oh well, I like my solution better…lol. It seemed like the best way to get enough tension. Wonder if I should redo it?
The trouble with using sheaved blocks is that they are free rolling and do not provide the friction of a deadeye or thimble for the lanyards. That would only be obvious to someone knowligable about the difference in function for what is needed for those shrouds. In the end it is what you eye wants to present for your son in my mind. Rich

Be honest, my friend!!! What actually took 3 hours: re-do your rigging or few drinks? :D :p
Well …the original rigging took 3 hours…thinking about changing it, with a drink in my hand, took much longer…ha ha! :p
I will change it once I can work on the ship again. Problem with working ON the ship is I usually break it because I’m too heavy! :)

The trouble with using sheaved blocks is that they are free rolling and do not provide the friction of a deadeye or thimble for the lanyards. That would only be obvious to someone knowligable about the difference in function for what is needed for those shrouds. In the end it is what you eye wants to present for your son in my mind. Rich
That makes perfect sense, when you mention the friction. I was only thinking about the mechanical advantage pulleys give you. But the coefficient of friction is more important in this application, since it is standing rigging, and not running rigging. ;)
I will change it, because I am trying to do the rigging accurately, within reason. Thanks for the input as always.

Back