Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

It is all coming together beautifully, Dean. I like the idea that you are using a different color rope for the "steps" of the ratlines (or will those be painted/colored?) For me, I like the contrast.
Thank you Heinrich! I actually stained the rat lines darker to give it a tarred look. ;)
I didn't want to go with black, because no contrast. And I didn't want the lighter tan because that is for running rigging. At least that's my logic.

Hi Dean, Great to see that after some time, a new idea comes in you mind. Those thimbles looks superb.
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter. Thimbles were needed to make it look proper. So I took a ring and opened it up at the split and straightened the ends to make a triangular or teardrop shape, like actual rope thimbles. This of course maintains the shape under tension. ;)

The rat lines continue… I hope to be able to finish them, and the outer stays this week!
I have however created some additional work by trying to be frugal with the rope, only to end up with not enough on the last clove hitch! That’s very frustrating…sigh! Especially since I wax the rope! Once you tighten the clove hitch with a waxed thread, you can’t pull it apart again, so I end up having to cut each one apart. So I have learned to get used to wasting more rope, better than wasting time…lol. ;)

Only have to tie a little over 200 clove hitches per mast. Much better than a tall ship!

F57FA64D-6A09-4D76-8435-5D1F8863A2AD.jpeg

Looking good Dean. Take it easy - there is a certain warship looming in the background that will put an end to the "only" 200 clove hitches per mast! ROTF

Looking good Dean. Take it easy - there is a certain warship looming in the background that will put an end to the "only" 200 clove hitches per mast! ROTF
So true! My more than 1,000 clove hitch days are around the corner…lol. (San Felipe)
Speaking of that, it takes me back to the Norske Love I built. I really like that ship… and have been keeping an eye on the price. I am going to buy another one and build it again. ;)

So true! My more than 1,000 clove hitch days are around the corner…lol. (San Felipe)
Speaking of that, it takes me back to the Norske Love I built. I really like that ship… and have been keeping an eye on the price. I am going to buy another one and build it again. ;)
Seems interesting to me, Dean. With the experience of the first and in the meantime with the other builds, what then becomes the difference with that first.
Regards, Peter

Seems interesting to me, Dean. With the experience of the first and in the meantime with the other builds, what then becomes the difference with that first.
Regards, Peter
The first was destroyed in a move, as it wasn’t properly protected. :(
But with more experience now, I know I can build it better! And I always loved that ship. I
just couldn’t build it two times in a row…lol ;)

A picture …
E4DA1BFA-8FF8-40E3-BB09-83BFD7F34C0D.jpeg

The promo picture to see it completed. I had all the standing rigging finished (not completed in pic above). Never got the sails on.
4609E508-826C-4695-829D-D6058AE20971.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Dean,
I'm just now catching up on your post from July 2. Don't know why I haven't been getting your updates, your build is on my watch list with notifications activated?
Any way your level of craftsmanship is up there with the best of them. I really like the cover on the base of the shroud lines!!

Hi Dean,
I'm just now catching up on your post from July 2. Don't know why I haven't been getting your updates, your build is on my watch list with notifications activated?
Any way your level of craftsmanship is up there with the best of them. I really like the cover on the base of the shroud lines!!
Thank you Daniel! You’re not the first person who hasn’t received notices. I sometimes don’t get them either. So I just look for new posts in each section…lol.
Thanks for checking in…rigging is going slow!

The rat lines continue… I hope to be able to finish them, and the outer stays this week!
I have however created some additional work by trying to be frugal with the rope, only to end up with not enough on the last clove hitch! That’s very frustrating…sigh! Especially since I wax the rope! Once you tighten the clove hitch with a waxed thread, you can’t pull it apart again, so I end up having to cut each one apart. So I have learned to get used to wasting more rope, better than wasting time…lol. ;)

Only have to tie a little over 200 clove hitches per mast. Much better than a tall ship!

View attachment 246645
For all of those clove hitches, which the BNII deck crew call "cow hitches" as I recall, you took the long option noted on the sail plan where four shrouds of rats were seen in some photos but I have not seen those. I am following the less demanding assembly of rats on three shrouds as is more prominently seen on the plan and photos that I saw. Still a lot of small repetitive work. I did follow you color tack though leaving black rats behind on those cut off and using a lighter rat line now. It is easier to see than all of the black obscurity. You are doing well. Rich

For all of those clove hitches, which the BNII deck crew call "cow hitches" as I recall, you took the long option noted on the sail plan where four shrouds of rats were seen in some photos but I have not seen those. I am following the less demanding assembly of rats on three shrouds as is more prominently seen on the plan and photos that I saw. Still a lot of small repetitive work. I did follow you color tack though leaving black rats behind on those cut off and using a lighter rat line now. It is easier to see than all of the black obscurity. You are doing well. Rich
Thanks Rich. I chose to run the rat lines across all four shrouds lines because it looks more complete to me, even though it was most likely only on three. So I went with personal preference.
Anyway, I can’t believe how much work has gone into just this one mast. Looking forward to moving to the foremast and bowsprit!

Thanks Rich. I chose to run the rat lines across all four shrouds lines because it looks more complete to me, even though it was most likely only on three. So I went with personal preference.
Anyway, I can’t believe how much work has gone into just this one mast. Looking forward to moving to the foremast and bowsprit!
Looking at all of the rigging in some of the historical square riggers it seems like BN is just preschool. :) Rich

My Admiral is so cool! I’ve been watching, and I saw the Norske Love was on sale… 52% off!!! I told her and she said I should buy it while it’s on sale. So…it’s on the way. ;)
I’m so excited, because that is a special ship for me. And not very common among builds.
Can't wait to see the build log. Great subject, indeed.

Back