Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

My Admiral is so cool! I’ve been watching, and I saw the Norske Love was on sale… 52% off!!! I told her and she said I should buy it while it’s on sale. So…it’s on the way. ;)
I’m so excited, because that is a special ship for me. And not very common among builds.
....I thought your next project was designated as the scratch one?

Me and you, God only knows it's not what we would choose to do ;) (Us And Them)

Thank you!
Good to know your future voyage on a build that you are excited about. If and when I finish my MS2130 I will be putting more time in on the pistol range getting back into NRA 2700 precision shooting more regularly than my now very scattered outings and bad group sizes. I can't reduce my age increasing arc of motion for better groups but I can try to keep it from expanding from lack of training exercises and shooting. I'll probably not sign up for competitions but will shoot on my own for my own pleasure. . . hopefully keeping frustration out of the sights.
I know that your Norske Love will be a winner. Rich

....I thought your next project was designated as the scratch one?

Me and you, God only knows it's not what we would choose to do ;) (Us And Them)
Well…lol…the next ship after the Cazador was going to be the San Felipe 1:50 scale. But…along came the Bluenose POF.
Then I got a small merchant ship (Sultan by AL) that I can go wild on with embellishments…lol. Will change a lot and add a lot, even do some carving. Think that may be next because it should be a short build, before I take on a year or more long project! And it should be fun!
Question is now, do I build the Norske Love or the San Felipe after the merchant ship?
The Norske Love was my first ship, and a big learning curve with a single plank hull and extreme bends on the stern! But I never got to complete it. I spent 2 years getting to the point of building masts. Then life got in the way of hobbies and it sat for 5 years! Then I did the masts and all the standing rigging. Then once again life changes happened. I got divorced and moved multiple times! Then after I remarried and we built a home, it ended up in a storage unit for a while and when moving it in the back of a truck, it got crushed by furniture that fell on it! I was devastated. I almost gave up on building ships altogether!
But then I found this site and ordered the Cazador. It felt good to get a build behind me finally! And I’m going to finish the Bluenose too, hopefully within the next 3 months.
So the Norske Love represents my first love, ship wise, and something that feels unfinished. So it’s important to me that I build this ship, and do it justice! ;)
But first, will most likely be the small merchant ship, for a change. Then on to a tall ship. Poor San Felipe keeps getting bumped…lol. And I really want to build it, with the winding stairs and other nice features, it has always been on my list. But I feel like the NL is unfinished business, if that makes sense? ;)

Last edited:
Well…lol…the next ship after the Cazador was going to be the San Felipe 1:50 scale. But…along came the Bluenose POF.
Then I got a small merchant ship (Sultan by AL) that I can go wild on with embellishments…lol. Will change a lot and add a lot, even do some carving. Think that may be next because it should be a short build, before I take on a year or more long project! And it should be fun!
Question is now, do I build the Norske Love or the San Felipe after the merchant ship?
The Norske Love was my first ship, and a big learning curve with a single plank hull and extreme bends on the stern! But I never got to complete it. I spent 2 years getting to the point of building masts. Then life got in the way of hobbies and it sat for 5 years! Then I did the masts and all the standing rigging. Then once again life changes happened. I got divorced and moved multiple times! Then after I remarried and we built a home, it ended up in a storage unit for a while and when moving it in the back of a truck, it got crushed by furniture that fell on it! I was devastated. I almost gave up on building ships altogether!
But then I found this site and ordered the Cazador. It felt good to get a build behind me finally! And I’m going to finish the Bluenose too, hopefully within the next 3 months.
So the Norske Love represents my first love, ship wise, and something that feels unfinished. So it’s important to me that I build this ship, and do it justice! ;)
But first, will most likely be the small merchant ship, for a change. Then on to a tall ship. Poor San Felipe keeps getting bumped…lol. And I really want to build it, with the winding stairs and other nice features, it has always been on my list. But I feel like the NL is unfinished business, if that makes sense?
Lol...You have so much trouble associated with the first Norske, and the biggest one is divorce, as the result of it the move, so I am almost ready to say DO NOT start building another one (since you are married again) :p :D:D:D:D We don't want to ruin your life again! :D:D:D:D

Seriously...both San Felipe or\and Norske is very interesting\challenging multi-year projects. Are you ready to devote so much time to a single model? Will you have the commitment to finish her? These are the only questions, IMHO. I am sure, with your skills, you will be able to build either. The building shouldn't be an obligation, you should have fun and enjoy the assembly.

What kit to choose is all up to you, but I fully support the small project after Bluenose. Frankly, I love small vessels projects like cutters.

Lol...You have so much trouble associated with the first Norske, and the biggest one is divorce, as the result of it the move, so I am almost ready to say DO NOT start building another one (since you are married again) :p :D:D:D:D We don't want to ruin your life again! :D:D:D:D

Seriously...both San Felipe or\and Norske is very interesting\challenging multi-year projects. Are you ready to devote so much time to a single model? Will you have the commitment to finish her? These are the only questions, IMHO. I am sure, with your skills, you will be able to build either. The building shouldn't be an obligation, you should have fun and enjoy the assembly.

What kit to choose is all up to you, but I fully support the small project after Bluenose. Frankly, I love small vessels projects like cutters.
My first ship was begun many years ago! And sometimes we get into something at the wrong time in our life. Recently I have truly embraced the hobby of ship building, and have more time, as all my children are grown. And I will have a lot more time when I retire. ;)
And finally, I see myself building ships as long as my eyesight and hands allow. So I feel comfortable with a lengthy build on a tall ship. Especially since I am almost at two completed builds. I think that kind of ship, being your first build, tends to kill momentum… because you don’t finish the ship for years, and at some point you need to complete a ship, to experience the reward and satisfaction of finishing! And I think that’s why some of those ships never get finished.
But I will do a small project in between each big project. At least that’s my plan! ;)

I'm very happy that you acquired the Norske Love. Based on my love for Dutch ships, I will always go for the Norske Love as she is in so many ways so very similar to a 17th century Dutch man-o-war. I also know all about unfinished business so I can understand your sentiments in that regard. I will be looking forward to your build of her.

My first ship was begun many years ago! And sometimes we get into something at the wrong time in our life. Recently I have truly embraced the hobby of ship building, and have more time, as all my children are grown. And I will have a lot more time when I retire. ;)
And finally, I see myself building ships as long as my eyesight and hands allow. So I feel comfortable with a lengthy build on a tall ship. Especially since I am almost at two completed builds. I think that kind of ship, being your first build, tends to kill momentum… because you don’t finish the ship for years, and at some point you need to complete a ship, to experience the reward and satisfaction of finishing! And I think that’s why some of those ships never get finished.
But I will do a small project in between each big project. At least that’s my plan! ;)
I just Googled Norske Love up as I was not familiar with that ship. Yes, you will have your modeling desires well filled in the detailing and rigging of this ship together with the sails that you may or may not put onto Bluenose. I can appreciate the months and possibly years that you will have your "spare" time filled. Rich

I'm very happy that you acquired the Norske Love. Based on my love for Dutch ships, I will always go for the Norske Love as she is in so many ways so very similar to a 17th century Dutch man-o-war. I also know all about unfinished business so I can understand your sentiments in that regard. I will be looking forward to your build of her.
Thank you!
It’s funny, but I looked at all the ships available, when I first picked the Norske Love. There were so many choices, it was a difficult decision. Something about her appealed to me, overall I liked her better than any other ship that was available. And I still prefer her over most any other ship, to this day. ;)

Ok, enough about ships from the past and in the future.
Back to my present build, which I finally had another chance to work on.
I finished all of the shroud lines and rat lines on the main mast. Now time for the side stays, after which I can move on to the bow sprit and foremast.
6D47682B-FA7F-4CA5-A0A0-8E1D892EA675.jpeg0DEE31C7-553D-4421-89B2-BEF2B5767ED7.jpegB0DC2D89-EA87-46D2-9B31-1626D16A985B.jpeg00642C9C-030F-4C3B-9E36-78AA4EBA1D98.jpeg1BA31B7D-0681-408E-9113-7AE8F6D48E14.jpeg

Last edited:
My Admiral is so cool! I’ve been watching, and I saw the Norske Love was on sale… 52% off!!! I told her and she said I should buy it while it’s on sale. So…it’s on the way. ;)
I’m so excited, because that is a special ship for me. And not very common among builds.
Good job, Dean.Thumbsup It's great that you can now rebuild the NL and that your Admiral gave you the push for the purchase.:) And the choice stress over in which order to build will soon be gone. The remaining months before the BN will certainly give you the insight that you have made the right choices.
We have a new build-log in prospect of building a beautiful ship.:D
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Ok, enough about ships from the past and in the future.
Back my present build, which I finally had another chance to work on.
I finished all of the shroud lines and rat lines on the main mast. Now time for the side stays, after which I can move on to the bow sprit and foremast.
View attachment 247264View attachment 247265View attachment 247266View attachment 247267View attachment 247268
Well done, Dean. Nice with those rat line in little contrast.
A impressive main mast.
Regards, Peter

Beautifully turned out Dean

The ropes, I don't think I will be there my favorite work any time soon ...

Books have been ordered for rigging

The Norske Love is a beautiful ship (Billing Boats?)

I think you have more room in the house than me regularly get the comment that it is starting to look like a museum…

Trumper kit 142 cm long.. (lol)

Last edited:
You knocked it out of park with those contrasting ratlines. It also looks like you were able to keep the exterior shroud lines straight. I struggled with that on my HMS Fly. It was so easy for me to get wrapped up in tying all the knots then after an hour or so look back and see awful warping.

Beautifully turned out Dean4

The ropes, I don't think I will be my favorite work there soon ...

Books have been ordered for rigging

The Norske Love is a beautiful ship (Billing Boats?)

I think you'll have more space in your house if I get regular comments that it is starting to look like a museum…

Trumper kit 142 cm long.. (lol)
Thank you Henk. Yes I purchased the Billing Boats Norske Love.

You knocked it out of park with those contrasting ratlines. It also looks like you were able to keep the exterior shroud lines straight. I struggled with that on my HMS Fly. It was so easy for me to get wrapped up in tying all the knots then after an hour or so look back and see awful warping.
Thank you Daniel.

Here are a few reference pictures for the proper tying of the deadeye lanyards, and rat line clove hitches…
View attachment 247483View attachment 247484
That is nice work on you Main Mast with precise rigging. The Fore is shorter but that doesn't mean less work with the standing and related running rigging. Your work on the Main will serve you well. Rich

Hello Dean,
I admire your work. Have a couple of questions about the bolt heads. I do not see these in the plans, so assume I am missing seeing them or they are from some history or photos of the original ship. How did you do them? Are they just on the back of the frames or both front and back, and are they done prior to securing the the frames to they jig and the keel? I am in the early weeks of building my frames. Can usually do three in a day with drying times and sanding. It is really helpful and fun to have all of the group builds available. There are a lot of talented people on this forum, and you are right at the top. Attached are a couple of my early photos. I started modeling after retiring about three years ago and this will be my fourth ship. Previous builds Caldercraft Mortar, Vanguard Alert, and Mamoli Yacht America. thinking of starting my own build log.
Thanking you in advance for reading and responding if you do.
Phil

Attachments

• Frames.jpeg
    Frames.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 31 holes.jpeg
    31 holes.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 12
Back