Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

Sorry to hear that Rich. Fixing things is never fun, and is usually at the expense of forward progress!
It is like a two step dance except that instead of two forward back it seems like one forward and two back. Maybe forgetting those ballroom dancing lessons of my youth I am getting the steps mixed up. Anyhow, with these repairs I could rationalize that my intention was to present a working schooner and those dory fishermen were known for vessels in disrepair or barely done so. I'll just call it character of the model. Your own progress raises our glass to the future. Scholl!!! Rich

Applying that gaff is quite a balancing act, Dean. All with just 2 hands?
I was wondering about the 2 back-stays running right past on both sides of the gaff and main boom. When the gaff and main boom with sail turns outside, are those stays set looser?
But in The Saga on pag.32, where they also runs close beside, Jenson has written by the Port BackStay:
Port Backstays shown secured at Port quarter as it would be with Topsails sat. Otherwise it is secured at the Port Shrouds.
So, for me a compleet new look to all this lines on the BN. It is a complicated rigging with a lot of different position of them. And on the model you have to make a choice. Just like your with the gaff up. It gives the model much more body. Wel done!
regards, Peter

I was wondering about the 2 back-stays running right past on both sides of the gaff and main boom. When the gaff and main boom with sail turns outside, are those stays set looser?
But in The Saga on pag.32, where they also runs close beside, Jenson has written by the Port BackStay:
Port Backstays shown secured at Port quarter as it would be with Topsails sat. Otherwise it is secured at the Port Shrouds.
So, for me a compleet new look to all this lines on the BN. It is a complicated rigging with a lot of different position of them. And on the model you have to make a choice. Just like your with the gaff up. It gives the model much more body. Wel done!
regards, Peter
Thanks Peter!
I hadn’t though about the stays being in the way until you mentioned it. There is a hooked portion on the lower line, as there is a upper and lower. So it looks like they intend for them to be moved as needed. ;)
The gaff was a balancing act, because you have to raise it, and support the end prior to running the rigging through the bridle pulleys. I used a piece of line to temporarily hold that end, running from the end of the gaff to the top of the mast, held with clothespins…lol. Then of course you have to attach the line with parrels around the mast. That can be done last or first. Might be best to do first, prior to raising it up.

Foremast boom in place…just had two lines to rig. Next will be the foremast gaff, which I have to finish making.
View attachment 253317
above the rigging lines started…
Below finished…
View attachment 253318View attachment 253319
With my placement of the sails along with all of the rigging for the spars it becomes a dance for spiders amongst the threads, continually quivering with the struggles of a newly trapped insect. . . yummmm. The sails definitely introduce a "wall" making the rigging more challenging to access and adjust. The choice of rigging with ghost sails is a good choice as there are no furling lines that are present on those expanses of canvas. She will be a well dressed schooner when you are done, Dean. Rich

regards, Peter
From my reading in other works, the back stays and jacks were slacked on the leeward side of the tack. Lots of work for the crew when tacking or gybing. I can hear Angus now snarling out his commands to order things forward and with his wheel action. As the boom/gaff, with ghost sails, are in the keel line and supported by the aft support post which was only used when in port, the lines would be in parallel planes I would think. Rich

Ran out of stanchion pins…sigh. So I made my own…lol. I cut a piece of toothpick, drilled a hole in it and glued a brass rod in the hole. Then filed and sanded by hand. Used a rat tail file.

View attachment 253392
Those are Belaying Pins and when in the hands of a shore patrol or other crew member out for a fight would provide more service than bending off the falls of lines, although the victim would be fallen for sure. Rich

Foremast gaff, done and rigged. Building the jumbo jib boom next. Pictures really don’t do it justice. The more I get done, the less I want to give it away…lol.
View attachment 253555View attachment 253556View attachment 253557View attachment 253558
I really like the white on the ends, with brass hardware. Glad I went with this color scheme.
Yes, the bright brass stands out much more visibly than the blackened brass finish that I have used. I like the longer gaff block falls without the sail as with that in place on my BN they are just about block to block. You will have a fine schooner when done. Rich

Back