Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

The masts, overall rigging done so far and of course the overall picture looks great. You are right - pictures can never do the "in the flesh build" justice. And about giving her away ... this is where you fake amnesia and deny everything that you had promised your son earlier on.

The masts, overall rigging done so far and of course the overall picture looks great. You are right - pictures can never do the "in the flesh build" justice. And about giving her away ... this is where you fake amnesia and deny everything that you had promised your son earlier on.
Thank you Heinrich! Lol…amnesia huh…I was thinking of baiting him into taking the San Felipe…ha ha…which would take at least a year to complete. Am I bad for considering it? :p

Not at all. I would think that is an excellent suggestion. Spin him the fact that the SF has 300 cannons and what have you not ... ROTF

That is one sleek-looking Bluenose Dean! Everything about her design shouts "Speed" - especially the pictures from port which show the fully-planked side. The funny thing is ... that "once upon a time" was not that long ago....

That is one sleek-looking Bluenose Dean! Everything about her design shouts "Speed" - especially the pictures from port which show the fully-planked side. The funny thing is ... that "once upon a time" was not that long ago....
I am realizing that your tack of going sans sails certainly simplifies the rigging work as there are a fewer running lines only associated with them such as down haul and furling. With my inexperience my decision to fully do and prep the sails and connected blocks and some lines ready to be threaded onto the topmasts and stays complicates the rigging access and fumbling around with all of the loose ended falls trying to keep them in some sort of order. Also now picking up some previously done running rigging, carefully set aside and cryptically labeled forcers reexamination of the sail and rigging plans a details trying to recall just what a particular assembly is intended to do and the placement. Possibly having all of the standing rigging in place and then bending on the sails to stays would have worked but I don't trust my shaky arms/hands working aloft. It is now time for me to glue in the masts and secure the standing rigging/deadeyes and bring the falls to the proper belaying pins; Then the stays. Maybe the order should be changed but I'll see how it progresses.
Your build is clean, precise, and a joy to see. Hopefully your foremast work will be without glitches. Rich

Thank you Heinrich! I started the beginning of February, 7 months ago! Given the amount of work on the shrouds and some final odds and ends…completion is looking to be around 8 months total. Still deciding what’s next…3 ships to chose from! ;)

Looks really terrific Dean. I'm not a ship guy so forgive what might be an ignorant question: is that how the gaffs would ordinarily be presented? I like it - the angular symmetry is quite attractive - but it seems unexpected (???).
Thanks Paul. As far as your question goes, a gaff sailed schooner has a boom at the bottom, and a gaff at the top. The gaff is what raises the sail.
If the sails are off, or down (furled), the gaff would be lowered above the boom like this…

81726C0C-C476-472A-960F-3F4AC26B26EF.jpeg
And if the sails are raised, the gaffs would be up like this…
2ED1D469-C919-45D1-8592-64355924AFD4.jpeg
However in a model, we have liberties as far as presentation goes. So I chose to have the gaffs raised with no sails, like this…
B6742D22-E933-4144-BB4B-9A8DF9740968.jpeg
So it’s really up to the modeler how to present the ship.
The gaffs up with no sails would never be a ship at sea, perhaps one at the dock installing new lines and testing…it’s feasible. ;)
So although it’s a rare sight, I thought it was a more pleasant presentation without sails.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul. As far as your question goes, a gaff sailed schooner has a boom at the bottom, and a gaff at the top. The gaff is what raises the sail.
If the sails are off, or down (furled), the gaff would be lowered above the boom like this…

View attachment 253719
And if the sails are raised, the gaffs would be up like this…
View attachment 253720
However in a model, we have liberties as far as presentation goes. So I chose to have the gaffs raised with no sails, like this…
View attachment 253721
So it’s really up to the modeler how to present the ship.
The gaffs up with no sails would never be a ship at sea, perhaps one at the dock installing new lines and testing…it’s feasible. ;)
So although it’s a rare sight, I thought it was a more pleasant presentation without sails.
I believe that when the main and foresails are in a furled position the gaff is laid on top of the canvass and lashed down as can be seen in some of the BN II photos Schooner%20Columbia%20Replica%2007_0 mast and deadeyes.jpgMain boom traveler close.jpg
Not quite fully down on the furled sail as I saw in other photos related to securing the mast hoops Bluenose Masonic Logo.pngBluenose Masonic Logo.png
You can see the main gaff at the left side of this old photo of BN, tightly down. Rich (PT-2)

I believe that when the main and foresails are in a furled position the gaff is laid on top of the canvass and lashed down as can be seen in some of the BN II photos View attachment 253731View attachment 253732
Not quite fully down on the furled sail as I saw in other photos related to securing the mast hoops View attachment 253733View attachment 253733
You can see the main gaff at the left side of this old photo of BN, tightly down. Rich (PT-2)
I found the BN II Main gaff on furled Mainsail, tight in our thread of old and current references.
Bluenose_II_Main_Sail_Fureled.jpg
Knew I had it somewhere for the group. Rich

Back