Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks Rich! Once done with the foremast shrouds and rat lines, I will add the side stays. Then it’s time to make all the rope loops to put on the belaying pins. Then I should be finished! Then I can make the lighthouse and take pictures. ;)
For me making faux rope hanks is fairly straight forward but getting the scale and sag of the loops is another bit of modeling while the lines are still somewhat moist. I do these in batches but each one is probably 10 - 15 minutes each. I don't always try to get an actualized amount of rope in the hank as would be present if brought down in reality. There are images of down loose falls on the decks of BN when racing that definitely show what is needed when actively in use and not tied up in port. You are almost there! Rich

For me making faux rope hanks is fairly straight forward but getting the scale and sag of the loops is another bit of modeling while the lines are still somewhat moist. I do these in batches but each one is probably 10 - 15 minutes each. I don't always try to get an actualized amount of rope in the hank as would be present if brought down in reality. There are images of down loose falls on the decks of BN when racing that definitely show what is needed when actively in use and not tied up in port. You are almost there! Rich
I plan to do them this way…
EAE2BD28-A42C-4E66-8F75-FF05D7321C6B.jpeg

Those look very good to my eye. My smaller line though does not provide the hawser or cable handing with a naturally relaxed appearance. I'll be interested to see what size line and how it turns out for you. Rich
Only fair to show my rope hanks and the jig first:
Rich Rope Hanks and Jig.jpg
And now some placed by the Main Mast Bits after at least one or maybe two prior removals for having placed the fall to the wrong pin along with a hank over the top. These are now in place but will need some final touch up for placement after other rigging in this area is placed.
Rich BN Rope Hanks.jpg
The boom and mainsail/gaff still need to raised up to the proper height, not sitting on the mast table. Rich

Hmm. Where are you going to keep the pony you're going to buy your granddaughter?
In your backyard! :p
We live in a gated community, and we only have 1/3 an acre backyard, which is actually large for a neighborhood. We have plenty of pecan trees and some small fruit trees (we recently planted), but there will be no farm animals…lol.

Last edited:
In your backyard! :p
We live in a gated community, and we have 1/3 an acre backyard, which is actually large for a neighborhood. We have plenty of pecan trees and some small fruit trees (we recently planted), but there will be no farm animals…lol.
View attachment 255669
Everything neat and trimmed, ready for inspection! Precise as is your BN. Rich

Lovely house, lovely weather as well, at least the sun is shining. ;-)
Btw, looking at your progress of your build, this is not going to last you till next spring. So what are you going to do coming winter?

Lovely house, lovely weather as well, at least the sun is shining. ;-)
Btw, looking at your progress of your build, this is not going to last you till next spring. So what are you going to do coming winter?
Thank you. The ship is a birthday present for my son. His birthday is October 9th. I will be finished before then. But then I will build the lighthouse to go with it.
I have 3 other ships I have to chose from, the Norske Love, San Felipe and the Sultab Arab Dhow. The last being a small merchant ship, I plan to embellish heavily…lol.
Also the admiral wants me to finish the grandfather clock I am building. ;)
So I have plenty to keep me busy!

Last edited:
How do you keep the yellow pee spots out of your lawn???? Our Irish Yellow Lab has created more sand holes than would fit only an 18-hole golf course. Rich
:(
We have a sprinkler system that is set to come on 4 days a week, and we have small dogs. So there has never been a problem with them killing our grass.

We have a sprinkler system that is set to come on 4 days a week, and we have small dogs. So there has never been a problem with them killing our grass.
This one is our fourth Irish (European shorter stature) but it seems that we did not learn along the way that they are great waterdogs and pass that along . . . to the grass!!!! :( Rich

Back