Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

For me making faux rope hanks is fairly straight forward but getting the scale and sag of the loops is another bit of modeling while the lines are still somewhat moist. I do these in batches but each one is probably 10 - 15 minutes each. I don't always try to get an actualized amount of rope in the hank as would be present if brought down in reality. There are images of down loose falls on the decks of BN when racing that definitely show what is needed when actively in use and not tied up in port. You are almost there! Rich
Is this what you're referring to?
I wouldn't mind a little less clutter on deck...716CC11E-321D-48E7-A5AD-0E1E27813560.jpeg

Beautiful house Dean - I love the pooches on the front lawn. I can just look at a picture like that and sigh ... Sigh!

Is this what you're referring to?
I wouldn't mind a little less clutter on deck...View attachment 255756
That clutter is inevitable when actually sailing and tacking or gybing frequently not to mention adjusting the sheets to maintain course with variable wind directions. You can see why it was essential that every crewman knew the location and function of every line aboard. Been there and done that but in smaller racing sailboats. Rich (PT-2)

Since I'm currently in the same boat, I'm looking forward to a nice tutorial from you on how to make "believable" hanks. (Especially given the high standard you apply to your build...)
Google up Tom Lauria about how to make small hanks. I use his method but it is one at a time and not the multiple on one jig that is also on YouTube. Rich

That clutter is inevitable when actually sailing and tacking or gybing frequently not to mention adjusting the sheets to maintain course with variable wind directions. You can see why it was essential that every crewman knew the location and function of every line aboard. Been there and done that but in smaller racing sailboats. Rich (PT-2)
I understand. I did some sailing when I was a lot younger and in a small, single mast boat with 12 sqm sails. The number of ropes and the complexity of the rigging was quite easy to handle.
Looking at all the ropes laying around on the Bluenose deck makes one wonder about the safety, or lack there off, on deck and in all kinds of weather...

Found it. Great instruction.
For those who are interested:
Thanks,
Johan
this video is what I used and follow to make my rope hanks. Slow but it works except for the watered white glue soaked coils which are more parabolic and not as relaxed as I would like to see. I try to pinch the sides together though for that form. Glad you found this link. As I said there is another by someone else showing a jig to make several at the same time. Rich (PT-2)

This is a neat picture with the shadow…
View attachment 255880
Repeating how I tried to reply earlier . . . Excellent photographers vision of an excellent setting of an excellent model. Almost inspired by Ansel Adams in his photos waiting for the perfect sun position for shadows and contrasts in Yosemite of Half Dome and others. I sense mind melding here ala Spok . . may the force be with you. Rich

Working on the rat lines for the starboard side of the foremast. Halfway done…hope to finish this week with the lowers and then complete the upper shroud lines. Then I can do the side stays. After that it’s rope hanks, and then I can start the lighthouse!
View attachment 256063
It's looking very nice with the slightly contrasting rat lines, Dean. It gives much more expression.
Step by step by step ........ they can climb higher in the masts on each side and will you arrive at your final result.
Regards, Peter

Working on the rat lines for the starboard side of the foremast. Halfway done…hope to finish this week with the lowers and then complete the upper shroud lines. Then I can do the side stays. After that it’s rope hanks, and then I can start the lighthouse!
View attachment 256063
Looking better and better every post.

Back