Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

Pretty neat I have to say
Depending upon which old photos that you see, most of the ratlines have a noticeable sag and not straight across. The sag of course makes foot placement more secure when climbing. Small item though. Rich

Those ratlines are very well spaced. Rich
Thanks, I use a board for spacing and to keep them straight.
I straighten and level the first row. Then I use a board on top of the first row and push the first clove hitch down to the top of the board, then work across by eye, after which I put the board on top of the first row again and push each clove hitch down onto the top of the board. Then put a drop of CA at each intersection of rat line and shroud. Snip ends and start next row. Each row is spaced and leveled with the board. ;)

That is really clean work Dean! The execution is - as always spotless- and the colors provide a sharp contrast. It's actually a pity that the sails will hide some of that meticulous work.

Learning from the first side, I created thimbles out of brass and glued the rope around them…after determining the proper length for the upper shroud lines.
B4CBB376-7A3E-4A8E-96E1-1238B69AB3A4.jpeg

Then I put the upper shroud lines on the mast, served them at the top, and then tensioned the lanyards. Added the brass dowel and painted black.

8B6FBA84-EA0A-4E0E-92C2-ACA262C17BB8.jpeg
Then I finished the rat lines on the first upper shroud lines. They don’t go to the top according to the rigging plans.

1921A450-1696-4B1B-AC83-E475951D38E9.jpeg
Lowers we’re already completed on the same side…
Now to do the rat lines on the other side. Then I can add the side stays that use the smaller deadeyes in the middle.
After that I am finally done with main mast and all blocks.
Then I will do the bowsprit and foremast. After which I can finish all stays. Onward we go! ;)

4F5D6C56-4E05-46C3-ABAF-B91C269D3051.jpeg

Last edited:
Learning from the first side, I created thimbles out of brass and glued the rope around them…after determining the proper length for the upper shroud lines.
View attachment 246319

Then I put the upper shroud lines on the mast, served them at the top, and then tensioned the lanyards. Added the brass dowel and painted black.

View attachment 246320
Then I finished the rat lines on the first upper shroud lines. They don’t go to the top according to the rigging plans.

View attachment 246321
Now to do the rat lines on the other side. Then I can add the side stays that use the smaller deadeyes in the middle.
Then I will do the bowsprit and foremast. After which I can finish all stays. Onward we go! ;)

View attachment 246323
You obviously have a gook cook aboard to keep the rigging crew well fed, happy, and not slacking on their work! Rich
View attachment 246319

View attachment 246320

View attachment 246321

View attachment 246323
I believe that the main topmast ratlines only go up far enough to be able to furl and secure the fisherman's stay sail. In some photos it is visible as a furled mass behind the topmast.
My replacement line finally arrive from Australia so that I can begin making a totally new set of lower shrouds and ratlines threaded behind the cranes. Over three weeks lost in this delay plus the time to serve and make new standing rigging cut off. Oh, well. . . it is great to watch your steady progress. Rich

You obviously have a gook cook aboard to keep the rigging crew well fed, happy, and not slacking on their work! Rich

I believe that the main topmast ratlines only go up far enough to be able to furl and secure the fisherman's stay sail. In some photos it is visible as a furled mass behind the topmast.
My replacement line finally arrive from Australia so that I can begin making a totally new set of lower shrouds and ratlines threaded behind the cranes. Over three weeks lost in this delay plus the time to serve and make new standing rigging cut off. Oh, well. . . it is great to watch your steady progress. Rich
Glad to hear you got your replacement lines…I hate waiting on parts! :(

Last edited:
It is all coming together beautifully, Dean. I like the idea that you are using a different color rope for the "steps" of the ratlines (or will those be painted/colored?) For me, I like the contrast.

Back