Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Dean,
Did you and yours fair ok in yesterdays storm? I love watching your progress and yes what a beautiful yard and home you have there.

Hi Dean,
Did you and yours fair ok in yesterdays storm? I love watching your progress and yes what a beautiful yard and home you have there.
Thank you Daniel. We did ok as far as the wind goes, but we were without power for 18 hours…sigh! I got out the back up generator and powered our refrigerator so we didn’t lose our food! We finally got power last night around 6:30pm. ;) Hope you and yours did okay!
2814C6EF-ED19-4840-B288-9AFF04F7D42F.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you Daniel. We did ok as far as the wind goes, but we were without power for 18 hours…sigh! I got out the back up generator and powered our refrigerator so we didn’t lose our food! We finally got power last night around 6:30pm. ;) Hope you and yours did okay!
View attachment 256367
We never lost power but internet was down 8 hrs. A couple banana trees down. I had bought a 4000 W generator last year for times like these. It always amazes me (when the power goes out)how dependent on electricity we are.

Din62, explain what is the point in this gear from mars to masthead?
View attachment 256448
Hi Alexander.
It seems the Bluenose masts have different upper shrouds, from mainmast to foremast. The mainmast upper shrouds go to the upper mast. The foremast upper shrouds go to the top of the lower mast. The mainmast shrouds have sheer poles and futtock shroud rods, the foremast shrouds have neither. Both only have rat lines to about the top of the lower mast head. I assume these are just enough for the crew to reach the upper sails? So I believe the answer is... it is a upper shroud line (a ladder and additional support). ;)
See below…
9F47B923-E376-4DA3-A1E7-CF7871512BB0.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Alexander.
It seems the Bluenose masts have different upper shrouds, from mainmast to foremast. The mainmast upper shrouds go to the upper mast. The foremast upper shrouds go to the top of the lower mast. The mainmast shrouds have sheer poles and futtock shroud rods, the foremast shrouds have neither. Both only have rat lines to about the top of the lower mast head. I assume these are just enough for the crew to reach the upper sails? So I believe the answer is... it is a upper shroud line (a ladder and additional support). ;)
See below…
Chapeau. This deserves a place of honor!
Looking forward to your lighthouse!
Termination of those upper shrouds is also related to where the crew would have to stand when lowering the topmast using the sheave which is cut into it in the lower quarter or less. Tricky maneuver as in a square rigger when having to "demast" for various reasons including the annual take down of masts and spars without cranes. Just my thought and understanding. Rich (PT-2)

Hi Alexander.
See below…
View attachment 256449
Interesting topic on the front and main shrouds. The Billing Boats main plan for BN1 shows more ore less the same shrouds & ratlines on the front and main masts. From the Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners the shrouds, their attachments and ratlines don't appear to be that much different either. Having said that, the Saga describes the Bluenose II, which has some differences, when compared to the BN1.
Is there any other reference material around, having those shroud details for BN1? I've seen builds with shrouds and ratlines way up to the top, but there are also builds, like Dean's, having the above layout. So now I'm really curious... ;)

Last edited:
Interesting topic on the front and main shrouds. The Billing Boats main plan for BN1 shows more ore less the same shrouds & ratlines on the front and main masts. From the Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners the shrouds, their attachments and ratlines don't appear to be that much different either. Having said that, the Saga describes the Bluenose II, which has some differences, when compared to the BN1.
Is there any other reference material around, having those shroud details for BN1? I've seen builds with shrouds and ratlines way up to the top, but there are also builds, like Dean's, having the above layout. So now I'm really curious... ;)
The reference material I showed, is from the Model Shipways rigging plans for the original Bluenose. They seem to be very accurate, as they were made by Ben Lankford, as far as I know.

Hello Dean, I must congratulate you on such a very nice build of the YQ-Bluenose. You have did a great and very impressive job on her.You sure have given me and the rest of the Bluenose builders a lot of very helpful hints on just how to make all of our builds a bit different. I hope to start my YQ-Bluenose next month after I complete my display case for my Oliver Cromwell build and also after my Admiral Bernadette fully recovers from her near fatal fall on the 14 August up at the Byers Lodge on the French River, this has been a huge struggle for me and drained all of my get up and go, that now is slowly returning.
Nice job on your Bluenose.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Dean, I must congratulate you on such a very nice build of the YQ-Bluenose. You have did a great and very impressive job on her.You sure have given me and the rest of the Bluenose builders a lot of very helpful hints on just how to make all of our builds a bit different. I hope to start my YQ-Bluenose next month after I complete my display case for my Oliver Cromwell build and also after my Admiral Bernadette fully recovers from her near fatal fall on the 14 August up at the Byers Lodge on the French River, this has been a huge struggle for me and drained all of my get up and go, that now is slowly returning.
Nice job on your Bluenose.
Regards Lawrence
Thank you for the compliments Lawrence. I'm getting very close to being finished, adding rope hanks now.
I am very sorry to hear about your wife, and glad she is recovering. Many blessing to you both, and I hope to see your build in the near future!

Back