Bluenose II, 1:75 scale, first build. by: Artesania Latina

Looking for some clarification on the vertical Keel. The instructions say to maintain 3mm for the thickness...well, the keel measures 4mm to begin with...then add to 1.5mm planks(1 on either side), this makes the keel 7mm thick. How is one supposed to maintain 3mm. Am I missing something here?

Hi Down the Bay, I'm relatively new to this forum so this post is probably way too late, possibly eighteen months too late. AL's 1:75 Bluenose II kit is my first build and I have only recently completed the hull. The concern you had above is the same as I had at that point, how to maintain a 3mm width at the vertical keel when the keel + plank widths add up to 7mm. I could only assume that a narrower vertical keel was required to appear more flush with the sternpost and rudder that would follow, and to allow the second layer of planking to converge better at that point. I managed to sand it down to a width of about 4mm, and only narrowed the vertical keel itself and a couple of inches along the horizontal keel leading forward. i.e. Not the entire keel. The outcome wasn't too bad, and when I installed the sternpost and rudder later on I could see that a 7mm keel width at that point would look wrong. Still, I agree, it seemed strange to first layer both sides with 1.5mm width planks, taking it all to 7mm, and then reducing it again so dramatically to 3mm. There are several misprints in AL's instructions and other are simply lost in translation, so you can never tell. In this case though, the 3mm (or 4mm, at most 5mm) width did make some sense. I hope you went on to complete your build :)

Back