Bluenose II Build (Artesania Latina) 1:75 by Nomad [Completed Build]

Thanks Dean, and a particular thanks for the interest you took very early on in the build that helped keep me on the straight and narrow. It seems so long ago now that I was watching your and Rich's builds of the YQ Bluenose, and always thinking that I need to up my game to keep pace with you guys. Looking forward to the continuation of your Norske Love build .... the lion needs to be woken up ;)
Thank you, the Lion does need to awaken soon! But I enjoyed building the Camel. ;)

Thanks for checking in again DomCee, much appreciated. I am glad I managed to reach the end without too much injuries or disappointments, but I can honestly say that it can't hold a candle to what you managed to produce with Artesania's Bluenose II kit. I had a look at all the bits and bobs in my next HMS Fly kit and I do get the feeling that I may be punching above my weight with this one. The instructions are utterly different from what I'd become used to with AL and only time will tell whether this is a good or bad thing. I hope you are keeping a blog with your new build? Thumbsup
Hi Nomad,

It will be interesting to see what you think of the kit from Amati in terms of quality and accuracy. I've seen some positive reviews on their kits so I'm sure you will be able to build a really good model. Building at the slightly larger scale makes it a bit easier to do, there's just more of it and it takes longer but all the processes are the same as you have cut your teeth on with the BNII.

I do have a log running on my Baltic Trader but, I have been rather busy so the build is going very slowly and I have only made a few updates. It is a simple ship model but I am going to use it to practice making some detailed parts from scratch before moving on to my next project later in the year which I think will just about be at my limit.

I finally mounted my Bluenose II model ship on a display base with brass pedestals and plaque, and can now draw a line under the completion of my first ship modelling venture which I thoroughly enjoyed from start to end.

The images below are just a small collection of photos I submitted for the Completed Models gallery.

I can now focus all my attention on my second ship model the HMS Fly, which I have already made a start on. Onwards and upwards :)

1055_20220523_bluenose_II_build_completed.jpg

1060_20220523_bluenose_II_build_completed.jpg

1065_20220523_bluenose_II_build_completed.jpg

1070_20220523_bluenose_II_build_completed.jpg

1075_20220523_bluenose_II_build_completed.jpg

1080_20220523_bluenose_II_build_completed.jpg

Nomad,
Thanks for a well written build log and congrats on a beautiful model. I've been working on my BN II by AL for maybe 20 yrs, started with their kit 20500 and built the hull, decking, deck outfitting, masts, booms and gaffs (all the wooden parts). Long hiatus to raise kids thru college. Then saw & obtained the newer AL model 22453 kit because it had fitted (questionable term) sails and more instructions (better in some ways). There are mast, sail and rigging differences between their 2 model kits that I am working thru.
Jim

Nomad,
Thanks for a well written build log and congrats on a beautiful model. I've been working on my BN II by AL for maybe 20 yrs, started with their kit 20500 and built the hull, decking, deck outfitting, masts, booms and gaffs (all the wooden parts). Long hiatus to raise kids thru college. Then saw & obtained the newer AL model 22453 kit because it had fitted (questionable term) sails and more instructions (better in some ways). There are mast, sail and rigging differences between their 2 model kits that I am working thru.
Jim
20 years! Now that's what I call fortitude :)

Wow, what’s your next project Mark ?
Hi Robert. This was my first build, the Bluenose II by Artesania Latina. It was what I cut my teeth on, back when I didn't know starboard from larboard. Seems so long ago now :oops:

Back