Bluenose II Build (Artesania Latina) 1:75 by Nomad [Completed Build]

In my quest to rig as much as possible before stepping the masts permanently, I left the lower shroud lines dangling from the mast top and continued work on the topmast shrouds. Another small and improvised jig helped to keep the lower and upper deadeyes equidistant.

0685_20220120_bluenose_II_build.jpg

A needle threader proved invaluable to reeve the ropes (raw thread) through the deadeyes.

0690_20220120_bluenose_II_build.jpg

The futtock shrouds are secured to the lower shroud lines and effectively create an anchor for the topmast shrouds. As my lower shrouds are not secured to the chainplates yet I could not rely on futtock shrouds to maintain the tension required to rig the topmast shrouds. Instead, I used small weights attached to the topmast shroud lines just below the crosstrees to create a degree of tension while reeving the deadeyes.

0695_20220120_bluenose_II_build.jpg

I am working my way through this rigging process very, very slowly. Artesania does not provide a rigging plan or any real how-to rigging instructions at all which is quite daunting for a rookie ship modeller. It seems that a mistake or an error in sequencing at this stage could be quite costly, so it's all baby steps from here on. When eating an elephant, just take one bite at a time :p

0700_20220120_bluenose_II_build.jpg

I set the rigging aside for a moment to work on the boom and gaff spars. One end of each spar is reduced slightly to receive the jaws in a snug fit. Small holes are drilled at the extremeties to accommodate the trucks that will wrap around the masts, and slightly larger holes are drilled into the wings for the wire dowels that will secure the jaws to each spar.

0705_20220123_bluenose_II_build.jpg

The wire dowels are inserted at a slight angle into the spar to prevent collision with the dowel inserted on the opposite side.

0710_20220123_bluenose_II_build.jpg

The dowels are cut to size with a wire snipper and filed flush with the edge of the jaw wings.

0715_20220123_bluenose_II_build.jpg

The jaws of three booms and two gaffs done and dusted :)

0720_20220123_bluenose_II_build.jpg

I set the rigging aside for a moment to work on the boom and gaff spars. One end of each spar is reduced slightly to receive the jaws in a snug fit. Small holes are drilled at the extremeties to accommodate the trucks that will wrap around the masts, and slightly larger holes are drilled into the wings for the wire dowels that will secure the jaws to each spar.

View attachment 285189

The wire dowels are inserted at a slight angle into the spar to prevent collision with the dowel inserted on the opposite side.

View attachment 285190

The dowels are cut to size with a wire snipper and filed flush with the edge of the jaw wings.

View attachment 285191

View attachment 285192
Good morning Mark. You are doing brilliant work here. I love it. Are you guys also having seriously hot weather down under? We have had some record temps here- Paarl 47•C and Melkbosstrand was 37•C yesterday and massive surf- I was too scared to go out. Crazy stuff.o_O

View attachment 285189

View attachment 285190

View attachment 285191

View attachment 285192
Nice job on the booms and gaffs.

Hi Nomad. Catching up with your build log. Looking very nice. Very good job on the serving, it is something I have not done so far but I will certainly give it a go on my next build in order to add some more techniques. I think I will also have a go at building my own serving machine like Philski's - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good morning Mark. You are doing brilliant work here. I love it. Are you guys also having seriously hot weather down under? We have had some record temps here- Paarl 47•C and Melkbosstrand was 37•C yesterday and massive surf- I was too scared to go out. Crazy stuff.o_O
Howzit Grant. Yes the heat is starting to ramp up here now, although thanks to an unusually wet summer it has at least been a bit late in coming. Temps in the 40s not unusual here. You get used to it, but you can never get used to the flies! I quite believe the 47C in Paarl though. Stifling. We were in Paarl a few years ago (my sister had a house on that swanky Pearly Valley golf estate) and decided to climb up Lion's Head on a day that was well in the 40s, sheer madness. Is Melbosstrand your local patch? Great corner of the world that Thumbsup

Clever idea, that little jig, Mark. And difficult to get the same tension on all the lines. Well done!
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter. I'm not sure I got all the tension in the lines spot on but there's no going back now. I've learnt with this first model that you instinctively develop a system for repetitive tasks such as planking, nibbling deck planks, seizing lines and many others. The first few are a bit of a mess, but you soon get into a groove and by the time you near the end you are practically an expert. The completed task is therefore a progression from bad to reasonably good. Trick is to only capture the good bits on camera ROTF

Hi Nomad. Catching up with your build log. Looking very nice. Very good job on the serving, it is something I have not done so far but I will certainly give it a go on my next build in order to add some more techniques. I think I will also have a go at building my own serving machine like Philski's - nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Thanks DomCee. It's a work in progress, albeit a very slow one. Yes the serving machine is fun to use and I imagine not too difficult to build from scratch either. Just a few bits of wood and a couple of metal rods and gears. Of course I was having too much fun with mine and made all of my shroud line servings too long :p

Lucky you, just a meager 8*C and overcast all day in the wetlands...
Not sure about lucky Johan. After couple of days in the high 40s accompanied by a good dose of humidity and you are soon longing for overcast skies and the single-figure temperatures of the Wetlands ROTF

Last edited:
The booms and gaffs look great Mark - I really like the contrasting colors. Once installed, it will be sharply defined! I taught 11 years at Paarl Boys' High so I am very familiar with Paarl's heat. It is such a co-incidence that @GrantTyler Grant lives in Melkbosstrand - I lived there from 1999 to 2005, before moving back to Paarl and then finally up to Kempton Park before I left SA.

Trick is to only capture the good bits on camera ROTF
This is what we in the Netherlands call a 'inkoppertje' / 'buyer'?. ;)
And now I'm going to tease you a little :), because luckily you shows not only those good bits in your post #323:
Why did you between the deadeyes let the last part, to be knitted on the shrouds, sometimes run between the other parts and sometimes around the outside? Or is this distortion in the photo?
1643012544122.png
The latter give a much nicer / tighter image.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
This is what we in the Netherlands call a 'inkoppertje' / 'buyer'?. ;)
And now I'm going to tease you a little :), because luckily you shows not only those good bits in your post #323:
Why did you between the deadeyes let the last part, to be knitted on the shrouds, sometimes run between the other parts and sometimes around the outside? Or is this distortion in the photo?
View attachment 285549
The latter give a much nicer / tighter image.
Regards, Peter
I think it is camera distortion Peter, at least I hope it is :p
They were all done in the same manner as the one you have circled in green. i.e. The third and final rope reeve runs outside of the others and bound at the top of the upper dead-eye.
But now that I know my work is going to so closely scrutinised I think I stand further back with the camera next time ROTF

The booms and gaffs look great Mark - I really like the contrasting colors. Once installed, it will be sharply defined! I taught 11 years at Paarl Boys' High so I am very familiar with Paarl's heat. It is such a co-incidence that @GrantTyler Grant lives in Melkbosstrand - I lived there from 1999 to 2005, before moving back to Paarl and then finally up to Kempton Park before I left SA.
Howzit Heinrich. That is indeed interesting, what subjects do/did you teach? I love the Paarl and Stellenbosch region, despite the heat in summer, although I must admit it has changed quite dramatically over the years. We had family friends in Kempton Park that we often saw before of after a trip overseas, thanks to their proximity to the airport. My parents are from Germiston and Benoni. It's a small world. Even now, many years later, I bump into ex-pats in random places who I either knew or who knew someone I used to know. The Melbosstrand coincidence with Grant doesn't surprise me, or even that we, on this forum, can talk of people and places that we have in common :)Thumbsup

Questo è ciò che noi in Olanda chiamiamo 'inkoppertje' / 'compratore'?. ;)
E ora ti prendo in giro un po' :), perché fortunatamente nel tuo post n. 323 mostri non solo quelle cose belle:
Perché tra i deadeyes hai lasciato che intorno all'ultima parte, da lavorare a maglia sulle sartie, a volte scorresse tra le altre parti ea volte all'esterno? O è questa distorsione nella foto?
[ALLEGARE=completo]285549[/ALLEGARE]
Questi ultimi danno un'immagine molto più bella/più stretta.
Saluti, Pietro
Scusa ma sei sicuro che la barre costiere sono montate bene ? Ho un dubbio che sono montato all'inverso

Back