Bluenose made in Austria :-)

Hello to all!

I've been reading your forum for a long time and the posts are really great.
On my last vacation in Brittany I saw a lot of wooden models standing and hanging around. Apparently in Brittany it is a must that every bar and hotel has at least three ships. There I remembered that I always wanted to have such a wooden model ship myself.

So I decided that I will build a model and started 4 weeks ago.
... and of course it has to be the Bluenose.

Greetings from Innsbruck

Franz.

Hell Fransz

Welcome to the Bluenose Group Build. Please share your build with us - and by the way - we love pictures!

Hallo Franz,
firsz of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum - and also to the group of members building this interesting kit
Liebe Grüße aus Wien
Uwe

Hello Henry!
Hello Peter!
Hello Uwe!

Thank you for the nice welcome.

I was able to bid on a used kit for the Bluenose from Billing Boats, which I am now building. And indeed all parts are still there :)
My first ship: the Bluenose 1:64, Billing Boats 576.

Last week I finished planking the hull. Unfortunately, I haven't taken any photos yet, but I'll change that from now on.
Now the first photos of completing of the hull.

KW 32 Rumpf.JPG

KW 32 Rumpf Detail.JPG

KW 33 Rumpf finish Detail2.JPG
... and finishing planking

KW 33 Rumpf finish.JPG

Regards

Franz.

Hi Franz. Always difficult to clamp the wood on all those curves of the hull. Your planking of the hull looks very nice.
And always nice to see the Original version of the BB Bluenose.
Regards, Peter

Hello Peter!
Yes it´s not easy at all to keep the old photos of the Bluenose and the Bluenose II apart. A difference between them seems to me in the freeboard, there is on the outside a concave depression (Bluenose I).
KW 33b Bluenose Rumpf3.JPG

KW 33b Bluenose Rumpf5.JPG

In the meantime, I have drawn a recess here with a carving die, I will then widen it when sanding.

KW 33b Bluenose Rumpf7.JPG

KW33 Hohlkehle2.JPG

Hello Peter!
Yes it´s not easy at all to keep the old photos of the Bluenose and the Bluenose II apart. A difference between them seems to me in the freeboard, there is on the outside a concave depression (Bluenose I).
View attachment 324789

View attachment 324790

In the meantime, I have drawn a recess here with a carving die, I will then widen it when sanding.

View attachment 324796

View attachment 324797
Hi Franz.
Nice to see that you are also studying the old photos. For the most part, we'll have to deal with that, in the absence of original drawings. Then it's about the interpretation of what we see. Is a face slightly set back or is it accentuated by a slightly raised frame next to it? How was the incidence of light, was there extra reflection of light from the water? Many discussions where passing by. And how can you deal with that part in the model and the material of the kit.
I have also seen surprising examples of this distortion due to the incidence of light from my work. It sometimes helps me to make a photo 'negative'. Sometimes with 2 if I see differences in those. And with a new input you sometimes suddenly see new things. Nice to see the results with different models.
That's why you may have already seen the term AL-FI in various build logs. Several builders have obtained their Artistic License or Free Interpretation when building their model. Because for various details there is no right or no wrong. What is certain, is that the original BN has also been adapted. You are almost always right with an interpretation. In any case, I have no problem at all with how someone's BN build. As long as he/she builds a model!
Looking forwards to the nest steps of your build,
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hello Peter!
Yes, you have brought things to the point.
Reductions adapted for the scale are already a question of faith in itself, I still have a hard time with it ... but the feasibility of the scale and my own model building skills probably automatically set the limits :cool:.
Thanks for your thoughts and best regards
Franz.

Hello Peter!
Yes, you have brought things to the point.
Reductions adapted for the scale are already a question of faith in itself, I still have a hard time with it ... but the feasibility of the scale and my own model building skills probably automatically set the limits :cool:.
Thanks for your thoughts and best regards
Franz.
I am for sure, your limits will shift forwards during your build, Franz. You see more and more, you wanted more and more ......... ;)
Regards, Peter

So now my last deeds: the grinding and sanding, sanding and grinding ...

KW34 Spachteln1.JPG

KW34 Rumpf2.JPG

KW34 Rumpf4.JPG

Finally, close the drainage slots. My kit has elongated slots in the plans here, but the Bluenose had many small drainage holes.
So: close them again with fitting pieces :) .

KW35 Änderung1 Rumpföffnungen.JPG

KW35 Änderung0 Rumpföffnungen.JPG

KW35 Änderung3 Rumpföffnungen.JPG

So now my last deeds: the grinding and sanding, sanding and grinding ...

View attachment 326842

View attachment 326839

View attachment 326841

Finally, close the drainage slots. My kit has elongated slots in the plans here, but the Bluenose had many small drainage holes.
So: close them again with fitting pieces :) .

View attachment 326843

View attachment 326844

View attachment 326845
Nice work with your personal touch, Franz. This scuppers looks better.
Regards, Peter

Hallo Franz,
just realized the wrong loctaion of your very interesting building log.
The group build is reserved for the chinese PlankOnFrame kits, so unfortunately the only correct location of your PlankOnBulkhead kit is the new area.
Therefore I had to move your topic to this area

Very good way with the waterways adjustments - Thumbsup

edit afterwards - no waterway - correct is scuppers

Last edited:
Back