Bluenose Old Photos, Books, and resources from the past

There is something downright breathtaking about a 2-masted schooner with sails set wing-to-wing... Thanks for the photos.
Closest that I have come back in my single mast racing days was on a run downwind with the boom on one side and the spinnaker pole out on the other, and occasionally the jib double slotting behind the spinnaker. It was a fun and highly productive task of continual attention and small adjustments for maximum drive without backwinding the main sail. Glad that you liked that one. Rich

Here are the photographs of the planking process on the original Bluenose.

View attachment 199569

View attachment 199570
From the Bluenose II book, page 41, the description of the treenails "trennells" seen here is that they were 23" long and had a 5" square hammering end 1-3/8" per side tapering down to a 1-1/8" rough surfaced imbed portion. The book says that there were 18,000 to 19.000 used. Augers were used to bore out a hole for setting the trennel. The outer end was sawn off and oak wedges were pounded into the inside end of the trennel to secure it in place. There is a section drawing of their use in both three-plank and plank to frame conditions. I again recommend this book from Nimbus Publishing. RIch

I have made a cursory comparison on how two models are presented and in comparison with the old original photos above. This Excel spreadsheet in pdf format was said by Heinrich to open but you may have to take an additional step that your computer directs. My margins in the new Excel were not able to be changed so what is a one page view comes with the right column shown on the second page. I apologize for my not yet being able to work around this. Frustrating!!! Click on the blue ion and keep your fingers crossed for success. Rich (PT-2)
Very useful table. Can you print it as Landscape instead of Portrait mode?

I have made a cursory comparison on how two models are presented and in comparison with the old original photos above. This Excel spreadsheet in pdf format was said by Heinrich to open but you may have to take an additional step that your computer directs. My margins in the new Excel were not able to be changed so what is a one page view comes with the right column shown on the second page. I apologize for my not yet being able to work around this. Frustrating!!! Click on the blue ion and keep your fingers crossed for success. Rich (PT-2)
Here is a landscape format of the pdf comparison sheet as requested: Rich (PT-2)

Attachments

• Bluenose Equippage Comparison.pdf
    113.3 KB · Views: 65
Here is a landscape format of the pdf comparison sheet as requested: Rich (PT-2)
From looking at the old port side photo above, of the schooner, I don't see the gury sluice so that is an unresolved question. I have closed three of my own cut out on p&s down to only one per side. At least I see one in the Hollywood movie Captains Courageous which was a mostly accurate but scaled down Bluenose called We'er Here where anything matching the script was possible. It is also noted that there are some short vertical protective blocks placed to protect the planking from dory launch/recovery use. Rich (PT-2)

Hello Everyone

Bluenose has done it again !!!! For the fourth straight week running a Bluenose Group-related Thread was the most viewed thread on SOS. @PT-2 Rich, thank you for the idea of coming up with this page - it sure was a good one!

微信图片_20201220194035.jpg

Hello Everyone

Bluenose has done it again !!!! For the fourth straight week running a Bluenose Group-related Thread was the most viewed thread on SOS. @PT-2 Rich, thank you for the idea of coming up with this page - it sure was a good one!

View attachment 200305
I have to confess that I spend a lot of time going in to see what has been added. So I should be discounted for the real profile. I wish that I had only the YQ Bluenose to focus upon but that will be a future engagement, as in our architectural office where I never left my desk without laying out what I would commence with the next day. Then while doing my morning 1-hour run I would mentally go over that start to hit the drafting table in full ahead mode. I'm glad to be of help to the group and SoS in a general manner if not a build log or expertise. Rich

Hello Everyone

View attachment 200305
Heinrich,the weekly digest thread list is not a reflection of real stats numbers,just the software placing them in a particular order

I wonder what the order is as it is not alphabetical???? Any idea about the formatting/sequencing "generator" of these as posted? Rich (PT-2)
Heinrich,the weekly digest thread list is not a reflection of real stats numbers,just the software placing them in a particular ord

Well seeing that the heading of the list says "Last Week's Most Popular Topics", I assumed that was what it meant!
Grammatical sequencing taken before rhetorical embellishment would appear to have a logical sequence in understanding but then logic is not always logical depending upon which conspiracy theory us put before us. An accountant may juggle the numbers so that the sequence 1,2,3 does not always come out that way. I don't think that "garbage in, garbage out" computer results are present in this case. I would still like to know the program logic of how the Most Popular Topics are generated. o_O Rich

Looks like they broke off the toothpicks just after installing them! ha ha

Good photo of the treenails being installed.
It was interesting to read and see a drawing that they drove oak wedges into the inboard end of each one to hold it in place like wedges in an axe handle securing the blade, more than doubling the work for each one. Rich

Back