Bluenose

Oh wow!!! You posted all the pictures so fast I thought maybe you built models like you fly fast jets!!!!!

That is a beautiful build and well photographed. The combination of bend and furled sails has me pondering this but it does provide better viewing of the rigging and deck as well as not having to work around all sails being bent, particularly the main and fore-main sails which hide a lot of that. Those are decisions far ahead of my bowline course. PT-2

Yes, That was the reasoning behind having some furled sails and some hoisted. I was trying to avoid hiding most of the rigging. This was a great experience and loved the process. You need to remember this is your build. You can try to have everything perfect but the intention is to first have fun and without changing the basic structure create something that is close and pleasing to you. Glad you enjoyed the build, have fun...

Yes, That was the reasoning behind having some furled sails and some hoisted. I was trying to avoid hiding most of the rigging. This was a great experience and loved the process. You need to remember this is your build. You can try to have everything perfect but the intention is to first have fun and without changing the basic structure create something that is close and pleasing to you. Glad you enjoyed the build, have fun...
Not having planked before, I am going to do the canoe build as a learning and first solo experience. No need to stall out in frustration of having to plank when never done previously. As you said enjoyment of the build process is a core reward, staying away from the Naval Air "any landing is a good landing" in rough carrier deck conditions when avoidable. PT-2

Thank you for your comments. This has been a learning experience. The time I spent with this was so enjoyable even if at times I had no Idea how to do some things.

Not having planked before, I am going to do the canoe build as a learning and first solo experience. No need to stall out in frustration of having to plank when never done previously. As you said enjoyment of the build process is a core reward, staying away from the Naval Air "any landing is a good landing" in rough carrier deck conditions when avoidable. PT-2
yes I agree. Once you start with the planking I am sure you will adapt. It is like landing a 737 on a gravel strip in low visibility with a 30 kt crosswind, you learn quick.

yes I agree. Once you start with the planking I am sure you will adapt. It is like landing a 737 on a gravel strip in low visibility with a 30 kt crosswind, you learn quick.
Back in 1978 I was designing native Athabaskan schools in the bush, flying from SEA to Anchorage. One winter trip up there the runways were heavily coated with black ice and a strong crosswind out of the west. The pilot had to abort two attempts to keep the wheels down on the runway before going around again. We finally touched down on the third landing but not quite in position as the wind moved us laterally. The pilot cautioned everyone de-boarding onto the ice covered tarmac to be careful. The wind took about half of us down but without any serious injuries. When we had finally come to a halt the cabin broke out in cheers and "Thank God!!!" Alaskan Air then but still a Seattle based outfit. I did a lot better with the bush pilots on many flights into small strips at native villages. I have wondered how the pilot made his entry into his log book. PT-2

Back