Bluff vs sharp bow design

Hello,

Can someone clearly explain me the difference between these two? I cannot find anything on google. How can I discern one from the other? What are the features? Can you please provide photos?

sharp bows tend to cut through the water as a bluff bow tends to push through the water. So as ship design developed over years the rounded bluff bows gave way to sharper bows.
sharp bows are seen in the old clipper ships and they look like this the sides of the hull at the bow are flat and narrow to the stem almost concave as they approach the stem

15_5_l.jpg

a bluff bow or apple bow are fat at the side of the hull and budge out these bows are found on the older hulls like the galleon and carracks. You will notice how the planking approaches the stem more of an angle.

these rounded bluff bows are harder to plank because the planking has to take a sharp bend around the bow.

_CARRACK_VENETIAN_14.jpg

untitled.png

79a5b39debc2e70e7b1dbaedbb794ca9--sailing-ships-pirate-ships.jpg

here we are looking at a hull built for speed this is the hull of a war ship built in Kingston Canada during the war of 1812

you can see from the hull lines the bow is concave and gets very narrow at the stem

bodyplan6.jpg

here is a 1/2 hull model of the ship and it is considered a sharp bow and it is all about speed. That is why clipper ship used such bows. The bow is concave lower than takes a flare at the top.

DSCN5979.JPG

The hardest kit bluff bow is the Endeavor.
I stupidly ( in after thought) chose it as my first kit and it was a mega learning curve. Soak, steam bend, Soak steam bend...etc etc.
see here

THANKS FOR THE LINK PAUL, VERY GOOD EXPLANATIONS THERE, I PERSONALLY DO NOT LIKE DOUBLE PLANKING FOR A COUPLE OF REASONS,1 I DO NOT KNOW HOW YOU CAN HANDEL THE THIN VENNERS OF THE SECOND PLANKING, IN ORDER FOR ME TO GET THE RIGHT PLANKING IT HAS TO BE SPILEING THE PLANKS DOING IT THIS WAY I DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WHERE TO START THE TAPER. Don PS PAUL HAVE BEEN SEARCHING ON EBAY FOR THE MILL CUTTERS YOU SUGEST CAN NOT FIND WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN END MILLS 2 FLUTE TRYING TO FIND ONE IN 1/16th INCH HEAD DIMENSION TO START WITH ALSO 1/8 INCH SHANK. THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Back