BLUNOSE/FINISHING

HI ALL, HOW WAS EVERY ONES CHRISTMAS, MINE WAS FANTASTIC, I AM STARTING MY LOG TODAY AS I GOT A PRINTER FROM DAUGHTER AND SON-IN-LAW HOOKING UP TOMORROW NEED IT FOR FRAMEAND HEINRICHS INTERNET INSTRUCTIONS( FANTATIV HEINRICH) I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION I HAVE BEEN WONDERING FOR A LONG TIME ABOUT FINISHING POF FRAME SIDES, TUNG OIL, POLY, SO FAR THE BEST WAS RECOMENDED BY DOC BLAKE TO OIL BEFORE INSTALLINGTHE FRAMES ANY OTHER COMENTS OR SUGESTIONS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Hi Don,
I have in the past assembled the frames and cleaned them up with sandpaper, then sprayed them with a rattle can of satin poly before commencing on planking. You would need to remove the poly from the areas to be glued, otherwise they will not stick properly.

cheers buddy.

HI ALL, HOW WAS EVERY ONES CHRISTMAS, MINE WAS FANTASTIC, I AM STARTING MY LOG TODAY AS I GOT A PRINTER FROM DAUGHTER AND SON-IN-LAW HOOKING UP TOMORROW NEED IT FOR FRAMEAND HEINRICHS INTERNET INSTRUCTIONS( FANTATIV HEINRICH) I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION I HAVE BEEN WONDERING FOR A LONG TIME ABOUT FINISHING POF FRAME SIDES, TUNG OIL, POLY, SO FAR THE BEST WAS RECOMENDED BY DOC BLAKE TO OIL BEFORE INSTALLINGTHE FRAMES ANY OTHER COMENTS OR SUGESTIONS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Why is Tung Oil preferred over Danish Oil. I don't have a choice of one over the other but really don't know enough to ask the question.

proudtower

Hello, proudtower,

Who said that Tung oil is preferable over Danish or other oils? Mostly, the finish chosen is by the method of 'trial and like', as well as availability and reccomendations\suggestion. Personally, I am not a fan of neither Tung nor Danish oils, they are simply blends. I love to use natural oils like Flaxseed or Linseed. They will bring the look and timber color without darkening it.

But again, it is purely a preference and taste of the modeler and particular situation\model ;)

I JUST FINISHED USING DANISH OIL STAIN ON MY LEUDO MODEL AND I LIKE IT VERY MUCH BETTER THEN MIN-WAX STAINS, I HAVE NOT USED THE DANISH TUNG OIL, BUT USE THE MIN-WAX TUNG OIL REALLY DO NOT KNOW IF THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, I HAVE ALSO USED THE DANIS NATURAL OIL I LIKE THAT ALSO. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Back