BN Rudder and Steering Issues

Here are a few links related to the rudder redesigns and steering issues which have gone from manual to hydraulic systems:
and the hydraulic steering system with embedded video and views

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/restoration-of-bluenose-ii-reaches-milestone-with-hydraulic-steering-

system-1.2128404https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/restoration-of-bluenose-ii-reaches-milestone-with-hydraulic-steering-

Here are a few links related to the rudder redesigns and steering issues which have gone from manual to hydraulic systems:
and the hydraulic steering system with embedded video and views

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/restoration-of-bluenose-ii-reaches-milestone-with-hydraulic-steering-

system-1.2128404https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/restoration-of-bluenose-ii-reaches-milestone-with-hydraulic-steering-
Those don't show the video so here I'll try again

Those don't show the video so here I'll try again
If you look closely at the back edge of the Langon Design Rudder it is square. From the book A Spirit Deep Within page 17, Roue is written as correcting the first square edge rudder built by Rueland, the ship builder who said it was the traditional way, "DId you ever see a trout with a square tail?" Rueland then had the rudder revised back to the tapered form that Roue had designed. Detail for success in BN and perhaps to consider for your YQ BN. Rich

Hi Rich,
As I showed in my PM to you, here's "the rudder issue" I found in The Saga.
The angle of the rudder stock / the port along the stern post through the hull, is a few degree different than the back side of the keel.
IMHO: the rudder won't steer: twist.
To pictures I took from the drawing, just for the observation and discussion.
Page 53:
Saga Angles.jpg
Page 22:
Saga Angles 2.jpg
A mistake by L.B. Jenson?
Just an observation.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Rich,
As I showed in my PM to you, here's "the rudder issue" I found in The Saga.
The angle of the rudder stock / the port along the stern post through the hull, is a few degree different than the back side of the keel.
IMHO: the rudder won't steer: twist.
To pictures I took from the drawing, just for the observation and discussion.
Page 53:
View attachment 239445
Page 22:
View attachment 239444
A mistake by L.B. Jenson?
Just an observation.
Regards, Peter
I found the technical report which has diagrams at the end related to the rudder(s) steering mechanisms, and alignment. I am not sure if this will bring the pdf report up for review.
file:///C:/Users/rgmar/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/5CEQ2S6A/Bluenose-II-Steering-New-Rudder-Proposal.pdf

Rich

I found the technical report which has diagrams at the end related to the rudder(s) steering mechanisms, and alignment. I am not sure if this will bring the pdf report up for review.
file:///C:/Users/rgmar/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/5CEQ2S6A/Bluenose-II-Steering-New-Rudder-Proposal.pdf

Rich
Let me try again attaching the pdf link

Attachments

• Bluenose-II-Steering-New-Rudder-Proposal.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Let me try again attaching the pdf link
I apologize for my mis-attempts and this which requires you to open it or save as you desire. I think that the more relevant parts are six and those following. Have fun making your own rudder decisions.
Rich

Thanxs for posting, Rich.
Interersting stuff. But when you see the video with all those hydraulic hoses, switchboard etc. Look every old-fashion Sick
In all the drawing, the angle and direction of the rudder, shaft and the shaft-port are all in line. So, strange in The Saga drawings.
The rudder will not be a problem. The steering mechanisme is a challenge. But I get help. ;)
Regards, Peter

The design from Dean received the steering based on Saga drawing loaded into my 3D CAD Viewer

Planning is that this design will be 3D printed early 2022 together with the Windlass engine

15-12-2021 10-41-29.jpg15-12-2021 10-01-50.jpg

Attachments

• 15-12-2021 10-00-38.jpg
    15-12-2021 10-00-38.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 5
  • steer.jpg
    steer.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 5
The design from Dean received the steering based on Saga drawing loaded into my 3D CAD Viewer

Planning is that this design will be 3D printed early 2022 together with the Windlass engine

View attachment 275655View attachment 275654
This level of design and production is as far ahead of hand tools as hands off driving for which I don't have a vehicle (or would trust one). These printed parts will make an impressive schooner. Rich (PT-2)

Back